absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Quick and Healthy On-The-Go Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Living in such a fast paced city like New York, it can be challenging to shift towards healthy and clean eating in the midst of busy schedules and long commutes. Luckily, eating clean is much easier than you may think, and with the use of meal prepping techniques, you can carry your pre-made snacks with you on-the-go! Check out some of these delicious and nutrient-rich options below!

1) Chia Seed Banana Sushi

These banana snacks are PACKED with nutrients, and super easy to make! To get started, peel a banana and lay it on a flat cutting board. Reach into your fridge for a nut butter of your choice; whether it be almond, hazelnut, sunflower, or the classic peanut butter, you can’t go wrong. Spread some of the nut butter lightly on to the banana and then sprinkle chia seeds on top. Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge and then cut into small, bite-sized pieces.

2) Sweet Potato Bites

You will absolutely fall in love with these savory, bite-sized sweet potato snacks. Plus, they are great at keeping you full and focused. In order to make them, peel a sweet potato and cut into slices, then spread them on to a baking tray lined with tin foil. Bake in the oven until they become crispy, almost like chips. While waiting for them to bake, grab an avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapenos, and whip up a quick, creamy guacamole. For a spicy kick, add some tabasco and paprika. Then, when your chips are ready, spread the guacamole on top and garnish them with some bacon bites. Healthy and satisfying!  

3) Chickpea Cookie Dough

We all have that sweet craving, but instead of turning towards a sugar-filled option, why not try a healthier alternative? Using one can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, you can create wonders! Start by peeling the skins off the chickpeas, and then place them in a food processor along with raw peanut butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choosing), and cinnamon. Blend until the consistency becomes thick and smooth, and then add chia seeds. Once ready, add semi-sweet chocolate chips (which can be dairy-free). After that, your cookie dough will be ready to enjoy!

4) Energy Bites

While there are many variations of energy bites, these cacao hazelnut ones will definitely satisfy your sweet cravings. Using one and a half cups of skinless hazelnuts and medjool dates each, you can create filling bites that can be used as a breakfast boost when running out the door. To start, add hazelnuts into a food processor, along with chopped dates, unsweetened cacao powder, and nutmeg. After blending, add 2 teaspoons of hot water. Then, on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, carefully roll the mixture into small balls, carefully coating each one with nuts (any grounded nut works). Refrigerate the energy bites for one hour before eating.

5) Blueberry Banana Muffins

Once made, these blueberry banana muffins will be your favorite breakfast option, especially because they can be stored for weeks on end without going bad. Preheat the oven to 350 F, and while that is heating up, prepare a muffin tin with coconut oil in each spot to prevent stickiness. In a bowl, mix together ground flaxseeds in water. In another bowl, mash two ripe bananas, and then mix in the flaxseed and water mixture. In a dry bowl, stir together flour or oats (can be gluten-free), coconut sugar, hemp seeds, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt. After mixing together, slowly fold in frozen blueberries and crushed pecans. Combine with the wet mixture pour the batter into the muffin tray, and bake for 20 minutes. After cooling, you will have a perfect breakfast treat.

6) Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate mousse is everyone’s guilty pleasure – but there are ways to make it more nutritious by replacing the base with an avocado. Take a ripe avocado, cacao powder, raw honey, almond milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and puree until you reach the consistency of your liking. Chill in the fridge and serve as a dessert or even a midday snack.

7) Lemon Bars

This recipe is a bit more complicated, but it’s all worthwhile in the end! To get started on the first section, preheat the oven to 356 F and line a pan with wax paper. In a bowl, mix together almond meal, tapioca flour, coconut oil, and rice malt syrup. Take this mixture and firmly press it into the pan in order to form a base. Bake this for 15 minutes. While this is baking, pour lemon juice into a medium pot and add corn flour. Whisk this together, and add in vanilla extract and turmeric powder to your liking. Once the base has finished baking, pour on the lemon mixture into the base and then refrigerate the bars for 3 hours. After that, your bars are ready!

8) Baked Veggie Chips

These veggie chips are a classic go-to snack, and can be made with just about any vegetable of your choosing! Whether it be kale, sweet potato, beetroot, or even carrot, you can whip these up in under 10 minutes. To get started, chop the vegetable of your choosing into slices and place on a baking sheet. Then, drizzle some olive oil and add rosemary and salt to your liking. Bake in the oven until crispy. It’s the perfect quick and healthy snack!

9) Ice Cream

This healthy version of ice cream tastes just like the real thing. In order to prepare, add bananas into a food processor and blend until smooth for about 5 minutes, Add in any other ingredients you may want for flavoring. For example, if you want chocolate ice cream, add unsweetened cacao powder and some honey. Then, pour the mixture into an airtight, freezer-safe container and let it set in the freezer for an hour. This is great for the spring and summer!

10) Banana Coconut Cookies

These two ingredient cookies are absolutely delicious! To get started, shred coconut in a food processor, and toast at 350 F for 5-8 minutes. After, blend the toasted coconut with a mashed ripe banana and then place on a cookie sheet! Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown for a special treat.

We hope this round-up of quick, easy, and nutritious recipes inspires you to spend some time in your kitchen this weekend preparing these healthy snacks to keep you energized throughout your busy day! Happy cooking!

Image Sources: 0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com