This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

National Coffee Day is just around the corner, so in preparation of this very special day, here is a list that includes ten reasons why your cup of joe is beneficial to your health. With fall weather also here, you can finally go and enjoy a warm cup of pumpkin spice latte with ease, knowing that your coffee…

1. Prevents Type 2 Diabetes

There are a plethora of studies—15 according to WebMD—that have proven you are less likely to have type 2 diabetes if you drink 2 or more cups of coffee daily.

2. Decreases Risk of Liver Cancer

Many studies have reported that coffee can help reduce your risk of cancer. In particular, the most accurate and consistent cancer prevention from coffee has been liver cancer.

3. Can Help Prevent Alzheimer’s

According to Men’s Fitness, you are 65% less likely to develop “Alzheimer’s disease or dementia later on in life” if you drink numerous cups of coffee daily. Hmm, perhaps this means that coffee helps your mental accuracy.

4. Has Rejuvenating Qualities

The caffeine in coffee can frequently prevent or suppress headaches. Moreover, your mud can help energize you.

5. Contains Antioxidants

Fruits and vegetables have a ton of antioxidants, but did you know that your body actually absorbs the most antioxidants from coffee? Count us in!

6. Prevents Stress

The aroma of coffee beans actually triggers a change in the brain proteins related to stress! If you are feeling sleep deprived or cranky, the smell of coffee should be your magic answer!

7. Increases Happiness

Due to the antioxidants from coffee beans (see #5), coffee makes your body feel happier! It’s because your cup of joe helps your body produce more serotonin and dopamin.

8. Reduces Chances of Skin Cancer (for women)

According to a Harvard Medical School case, women who drank three or more cups of coffee daily over a 20 year period were less likely to develop skin cancer than women who did not drink coffee. Get ready to glow!

9. Is Beneficial to Brain Health

Michael Lemonick, a TIME reporter, indicated that, “When you’re sleep-deprived and you take caffeine, pretty much anything you measure will improve: reaction time, vigilance, attention, logical reasoning—most of the complex functions you associate with intelligence.” Pleasing to the palate and a brain booster, how could we refuse?

10. Is Great for Heart Health

According to an article from the New York Times, coffee drinkers are more likely to have a lower risk for cardiovascular problems. So lastly, two words: coffee time!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Hey, I'm Tiffanie Snyder! Studying MCC at NYU as a junior, I spend my time immersing myself in any kind of movie, book or magazine I can find. Chai tea is my beverage of choice, and I love almost all food. I have a Pomeranian named Tackle. I am writing for HerCampus's Blog section.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.