This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

“What are you looking at? 

Why do you stare? 

Is it because you do not understand the complexity of my hair? 

Let me enlighten you 

Maybe she’d a little light 

I wear my hair natural 

It is my birthright  

My strands: 

For years I abused and tortured it, I was addicted to the creamy crack 

My hair is now sober and there’s no turning back 

You see I like the way my hair twist, turn and curl up tight  

Rebelling against society’s demands that they lay flat without a fight 

They have a heritage, a lineage with soul-stirring stories to share  

They have earned the right to be free, so go head and stare 

Society has failed to make them conform, despite how hard it tried 

My hair is just like me, Beautiful, Resilient, and Full of Pride!” 

-Unknown 

This poem says so much to me. If no one knows I LOVE to embrace my natural hair because there’s no other like it. It is unique in its own way with its own pattern of kinks, curls, and texture. To me, it makes you who you are. No one should ever be ashamed of how their hair looks because it is a part of them. No one should feel if their hair is nappy that it is ugly because that’s how I used to be.  

When I was younger I didn’t hate my hair, but I just was not into it. I always had soft, full, long dark hair with many kinks and curls that my mom said she loved. However, I hated how hard it was to deal with it, so one time I mentioned to my mom how I wish I had straight hair. My mom just looked at me and told me basically how I should embrace my natural hair. I should not envy those who most people say have “good hair” because just because their hair is straight or wavy and probably easier to manage and mine is kinky doesn’t make theirs better than mine. So I like to look at that moment as to why I am the way I am today. 

I would not say I’m a hair fanatic, but I love trying new natural hair products and hairstyles with my hair. I get excited whenever I think about the new products I want to put in my hair because I love taking care of my hair and keeping it healthy. Also, one thing I love about my hair is how it defines gravity. It stands up tall with pride and does what it wants to do. Also, whenever I wear my hair out I always get plenty of compliments on it and how it looks. It usually makes me blush because I’m not used to all the compliments but it makes me feel good that everyone loves my Afro just as much as me. 

Having a love for your hair is very important, and that does not mean that it’s the most important thing, it is just something that is a part of you and so it is another way to love yourself. 

Hello my name is Janiya Henley and born and raised in Philadelphia, Pa. I am a Mass Communication General Broadcasting major at Norfolk State University who is also interested in learning all areas of Mass Communication. I am very friendly and I love to talk. I also have a Youtube channel with one of my friends called J&J Network.
I am a Mass Communications General Broadcasting major at Norfolk State University. My goal is to become a media influencer and to inspire many in my position.