Style > Beauty

Winter is coming: 5 Ways to Tweak Your Beauty Routine to Suit the Colder Weather 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As the Halloween season comes to a close, the winter months are fast approaching, and that means colder weather, cosy vibes and (dare I say in the first week of November,) Christmas! However, the drop in temperature and drier air might mean that our skin is not quite as excited for the season ahead. I have compiled a list of my tried and tested top tips for combatting this, keeping your skin glowing and hydrated so you are feeling your best and looking after your skin. 

1. Swap out micellar water for a cleansing balm:

If you are a micellar water warrior – I see you. It’s cheap, convenient and easy. But it might be better to opt for a cleansing balm as this leaves the skin feeling softer and more hydrated. A little goes a long way with a balm so they last well, too. 

Product Recommendations: 

• e.l.f. Cosmetics Holy Hydration! Makeup Cleansing Balm (CF)*
  • The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Makeup Cleansing Butter (CF)*
  • The INKEY List Oat Cleansing Balm (CF)*
  • Swap out your usual facewash for a moisturising one:

Another simple swap that you can make to your routine without incorporating an extra step. If you are double-cleansing and follow up with a face wash after makeup removal or just use a face wash, it might be worth switching to a more moisturising one. I know how annoying it can be to find a brand that you trust so don’t worry about starting from scratch, as most brands offer a hydrating version of their most popular facewashes. 

Product Recommendations:

• CeraVe hydrating cleanser
  • Simple kind to skin moisturising facewash (CF)*
  • Neutrogena moisturising hydro boost water gel cleanser for dry skin 
  • e.l.f. Holy Hydration! Daily Cleanser (CF)*
  • La Roche-Posay Effaclar H Cleanser (bigger budget option) 
  • Hand Care:

Taking care of my hands is often something that I can easily forget about, but is also important in taking care of your skin. Next time you run out of handwash, maybe opt for a more moisturising one with more nourishing ingredients (they are usually the same price as a regular anti-bacterial one.) As well as this, investing in a few mini hand creams is a cost-effective way of always having hand cream to keep your hands feeling soft. Keep one in your bag, on your desk or bedside table to ensure your hands never go dry. 

Product Recommendations: 

• Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Hand Cream 
  • The Body Shop hand cream (CF)*
  • Overnight Face Masks:

Overnight hydrating facemasks are an easy, convenient way to wake up feeling refreshed and hydrated. Use this a few times a week if you want to give your skin an extra boost of hydration as you sleep. 

Product Recommendations: 

• The Body Shop Overnight Vitamin E Moisture Sleeping Mask (CF)*
  • e.l.f. Overnight Holy Hydration! Sleeping mask (CF)*
  • Simple Skin Quenching Sleeping Cream (CF)*
  • Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask (bigger budget option) 
  • Face Oils:

The world of face oils and serums can be confusing with 10-step TikTok skincare routines and influencers pushing products that you don’t necessarily need. I’ve found that a hyaluronic acid serum before moisturiser and occasional rose hip oil mixed in with moisturiser is enough to keep my skin feeling hydrated. Incorporating that extra step into your routine can make a world of difference and doesn’t need to be as intimidating as it can sometimes seem. Make sure you remember to take all skincare down to your neck as well!

Product Recommendations: 

• Simple Hyaluronic Acid Serum (CF)*
  • The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid Serum (CF)*
  • The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil (CF)*
  • Boots Rose Facial Oil

*(CF) = Cruelty Free.  

Hazel Miles

Nottingham '24

Hazel Miles is a writer for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, with interests in beauty and wellness, fashion, pop culture and film & TV reviews. She is a third year Liberal Arts student at the University of Nottingham, having changed course from a first year Film & TV degree. Outside of studies, she enjoys going to the gym, seeing friends & family and cooking.