This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The sun is slowly starting to make an appearance, meaning it’s time to pull out the reserved-for-summer skirts and shorts from the dark depths of your wardrobe. With more skin on show, you might fancy bronzing up, but can this be done on a budget? Tanning products on the cheaper end of the scale often tend to be gradual moisturisers, but you can still achieve amazing results with these by reapplying to build up the colour and intensity. If you’re saving your cash for post-exam holidaying, then check out our pick of self-tanning products that promise not to break the bank.

For a sun-kissed look

No7 Naturally Sunkissed Gradual Body Tan – £5.49

Garnier Summer Body Lotion – £9.95

For a natural glow

L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Gradual Tan Lotion – £6.99

For a bit of bronze

Soltan Beautiful Bronze Self Tan Lotion – £8.99

All-over tan

Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Natural Bronze Gradual Tanning Moisturiser – £5.69

Top Tips for Application

• Exfoliate before applying to prevent any product clinging to patches of dryness, as this will leave you with a smooth base. Any hair removal should be done before application as shaving can remove the product, leaving you with streaks.
  • Even gradual moisturiser can stain your hands, so invest in a mitt to apply the product. Use circular motions to ensure an even distribution of product onto the skin.
  • Apply fake tan at night to allow adequate time for development. Take a shower in the morning to wash off excess product, even if it’s a gradual moisturiser you’re using.
  • If you want flawless application, try using an old make-up brush to apply tan onto drier areas like the ankles, knees and elbows. Apply it sparingly as the product will be absorbed more easily in these areas.
  • Before slathering the tan all over your bod, test it out on a small area of skin to see if it works with your skin tone to avoid the shock of waking up looking orange rather than sun kissed!
  • Always follow the instructions on the bottle. To achieve the best results, you should do what the brand recommends, however eager you are to conceal any pastiness.
  • Enjoy being bronzed but remember to embrace your natural skin tone too! Fake tanning is a much better alternative to sunbathing, which can be damaging to the skin.

Edited by Susan Akyeampong

Sources:

www.boots.com/no7-naturally-sun-kissed-gradual-body-tan-10138947

www.boots.com/garnier-summer-body-lotion-light-sun-kissed-250ml-10051819

www.boots.com/loreal-sublime-bronze-gradual-tan-lotion-light-200ml-10138504

www.boots.com/soltan-beautiful-bronze-self-tan-lotion-200ml-10123051

www.boots.com/palmers-cocoa-butter-formula-natural-bronze-gradual-tannin…

http://socialgirlworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tan.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/13AinZwkusYhQ4/giphy.gif

Lucy Wharton

Nottingham

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.