Spring Activities and Events in Nottingham to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

After one of the coldest, snowiest February weeks we could have imagined, most of us will have been dragging our heels through March with the hope of sunshine ever appearing again seeming futile. The unpredictable British weather can leave us in a state of hibernation around this time of year, unwilling to voluntarily leave the house until exams are over and school’s out for summer (cue hardcore guitar riff).

However, this way of life can cause us to neglect springtime and its transitional beauty beyond, perhaps, a pretty Instagram post of the campus views. Spoiler alert: that’s not all spring is good for. Here are some ways to embrace the next few weeks and months at university and those precious moments of sweet freedom that are few and far between.

Trent River Cruise

Cruises aren’t just for expensive holidays on gorgeous Caribbean islands. Nottingham prides itself in its natural spots and access to the UK’s third-longest river, the River Trent. You can take advantage of this alternative mode of travel by hopping on a riverboat decked out with bars, dance floors and areas offering panoramic views of Nottingham and the surrounding area. From lazy Sunday-afternoon cruises to (literally)  Disco evening cruises, this is arguably the most effective way to float away from your responsibilities, calmly and discreetly – even if it’s just for an hour or two.

Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair

When: Sunday 15th April, 10:00-16:00

Where: Albert Hall

What better way to get in the mood for the new season than updating your wardrobe or adding flair to your home decor with some vintage wares? Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair is the best way to splash some cash without severely injuring your student budget.

The UK’S ‘Best Vintage Fair’ will be stopping in Nottingham’s Albert Hall, sporting a huge range of vintage pieces from many traders to get your hands on. Who knows, you might find some gems!

Not only that, but the fair also offers delicious tea and cake served on vintage china. What more could you want?!

Dot to Dot Festival

When: Sunday 27th May 2018, from 11am

Where: Several venues including Rescue Rooms, Stealth and Bodega

A local festival is a fantastic way to get a taste of the festival experience on a smaller and more civilised scale – oh, and without having to pay an extortionate price for a weekend ticket.

Born in Nottingham in 2005, Dot to Dot Festival tours throughout the weekend in Manchester and Bristol, ending in Notts on Sunday. Over the years it has hosted acts in their early career such as The Cribs, Kate Nash, Peace, Ed Sheeran and Catfish and the Bottlemen as well as many, many others. This is an incredible opportunity to check out some new bands and brag about having already seen them live if they become super famous in a few years’ time!

Visit country parks/relax outdoors

Finally, aside from the many upcoming events throughout the city, you can also enjoy the springtime in a much more simple way. Sometimes just getting away from your desk for a few hours on some days can work wonders for your overall mood, and rural Nottinghamshire has interesting local heritage, notably in the form of Sherwood Forest, where you can wander down the walking trails and exploit their calendar of free events such as craft workshops, animal watching and historical re-enactments.

Similarly, built in the 1580s, Wollaton Hall (a.k.a. Wayne Manor in The Dark Knight Rises) offers guided tours from the grand upper house to the Tudor kitchens, along with elevated views of the city and a fabulous deer park. Gotta get those deer selfies!

Edited By Izzy Walker

Images

1

2

3

4

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.