Sports Blog: Race Preparation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

No matter what sport you are doing, preparation for a race or a big game is important – it can make or break you. Your strategy will differ depending on how long you will be exercising for, but these tips can be applied to almost any sport.

A general rule for any race in any sport is make sure you worked out what you’re going to eat in the days up to the race beforehand, and practice exercising after eating different foods to work out what sits in your stomach well etc.

The Taper

It is advisable to tone down your training in the week before a big event as you want to give your body time to mend and recover.  This doesn’t mean stop exercising completely, but the intensity of your training should be reduced; this should be a week of active recovery.

Carb Loading

As a rower, I was introduced to ‘carb-loading’ in a big way. Huge bowls of tuna pasta pesto were consumed on the nights before races, I would have to roll off my seat afterwards and spend the rest of the evening cradling my food baby. This ritual is extremely important, especially for people doing long races, such as triathlons, half-marathons and marathons. The purpose of ‘carb-loading’ is to increase your carbohydrate stores so that your body has an energy reserve to fall back on.

Hydration

In the few days leading up to your big race, you also want to be gently increasing your water intake. Dehydration is your worst enemy in any sport and it dramatically reduces performance. If you feel thirsty, you are already too dehydrated. It’s important that you don’t just think about this on race day. Be prepared and make sure your body has been fully hydrated in the lead up to the big day.

Equiptment Prep

Many races across all different sports require you to be at the venue in good time, which often means waking up at an ungodly hour. Half asleep, you will be liable to forget simple things. So make sure you have sorted out your equipment, food and drink and worked out your race day timetable the day before your race.

Sleep

Pre-race nerves often affect a good night’s sleep, so to try and counter this. Make sure you get some early nights in in the lead up to the race.

Race Day Nutrition

Race day nerves can be sickening, but it is vital that you manage to get some food down you. Breakfast will kick start your metabolism and help your body to release energy. Eat at least two hours before your race to let your food digest. One hour before you may want to have a few jelly beans, jaffa cakes or haribo.  This won’t necessarily help your race, but psychologically it can make you feel more energized.

Whilst it’s crucial that you fuel up for your race, make sure that you don’t over-eat. Nerves may kick in and you may think that you’ve not eaten enough, and then go on to eat so much that you feel sick – which is no good. This is another important reason why you should plan what you’re going to eat so you don’t have a last-minute food breakdown.

Pre Race Rituals

Many people over time will come up with their own pre-race rituals, these can begin a few days before the race, and lead right up to the race. Some get panicked if they don’t have their normal breakfast, or didn’t get a certain amount of hours sleep etc. Your pre-race ritual should always include a warm up and then stretching, preferably dynamic stretching. If things don’t go to plan, try not to let it affect you, and move on from it, focusing on your race.

GOOD LUCK!!

Edited by Faiza Peeran

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!