This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It goes without saying that Christmas can be one of the most joyous times of the year, but also one of the most difficult times too! For some it brings sadness, stress, and panic. Filled with fun, food and family isn’t the case for everyone, for some people it brings extreme financial hardship, loneliness, and grief of loved ones. Reading this you may be thinking oh dear, what a grinch, but its important to recognise this can be a hard time of the year, especially under the recent financial climate.

So, in the Christmas spirit, I thought how can I provide ways in which you could bring happiness to someone in need this Christmas? We don’t always know what someone else is going through, so it’s important to be kind (of course not just at Christmas). Here are a few ways you could carry out an act of kindness this Christmas…

1. Smile at a stranger…simple but sometimes exactly what someone may need

2. Offer to help someone carry their shopping, especially if it looks like they are struggling!

3. Volunteer for an evening at your local shelter.

4. Offer someone that you know is alone to come round for a cooked meal.

5. Give a warm scarf, hat, and gloves to a homeless person.

6. Write an appreciation card/note to someone you love

7. Donate things you don’t need

8. Buy someone a coffee

9. Give sanitary products to a homeless female

10. Give out more compliments

11. Tell people you appreciate them

12. Invite someone you know is alone over for Christmas dinner

13. Hide a positive note in library book

14. Give your seat on the bus to someone who needs it more

15. Give someone a high five

Although small, these random acts might make someone’s day!

Caitlin Sweeney

Nottingham '23

A lover of Wilde and Shelley, and a guilty pleasure for 80s music. I believe chocolate and tea can solve 98% of my problems, I am always up for new challenges and learning new things !