Review: NYX Plush Gel Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Ratin: ​4/5 

A few weeks ago I decided that it time to try something new and revamp my make up collection; which had come to dull, dry and frankly disgusting. The first of my new make up ventures has come in the form of a new nude lippy (try saying that 10 times fast!) from NYX. My previous dabbles in nude lips have generally fallen flat, leaving my face washed out, and my lips looking non-existent. But I am pleased to report that the NYX Plush Gel Lipstick has completely opened my eyes and changed my experience of the nude lip forever!

This delightful product comes in simple, clean packaging with the words “Cruelty Free” printed next to the ingredients list (although notably not leaping bunny approved…). The thin and sleek presentation makes the product unbelievably easy to apply, especially when combined with the “Gel” formula which means it isn’t difficult to get a good amount of coverage after one sweep across the lips! As far as colour is concerned “nude beach” provides a great neutral shade with a pinkish undertone, ideal for preventing that terrible “washed-out” effect.

For a mere £6.50 this product really seems to have it all, as long as you’re willing to look past the cheap-ish feel of the plastic packaging. The lipstick’s only other pitfall is its brand’s ethical stance which has become rather shady in recent years. If you are concerned with issues surrounding animal testing then you should know that NYX sell their products in China, a country which requires animal testing by law. However, if you’re only concerned about whether the product you have in your hands is cruelty free then this lipstick is a good choice.

Edited by: Jessiva Greaney

Image sources: Writers own