Review: A Beautiful Thing at The Lofthouse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4.5 STARS

A poignant script, an incredibly talented ensemble, and a unique setting make A Beautiful Thing a truly unmissable evening of theatre. Staged at The Lofthouse in Nottingham City Centre, the venue is a departure from the Fringe season’s normal Studio setting, but one that is completely worth the trip.

A Beautiful Thing follows talented artist Freddie (Harry Pavlou) and his obsessive relationship with both his artand the models he uses. Told from the perspective of his former models, his current muse, his art dealer, and his own monologues, a rich and complex picture of the relationship between art and the body is painted in just one hour. Drawing on audience interaction, use of projections, and an intimate and unorthodox setting, this original piece showcases the best that student writing can be.

With a script that places so much emphasis on the character of Freddie – in every scene it is underscored how “intense” and “obsessive” he is by the other characters –Harry Pavlou managed to completely deliver on the image of the character that was being presented, being completed convincing in his fixation with his work and commanding the stage whenever he was on it. Newcomer Chloe Richardson also shone as life model Rachel, with her emotional and sensual performance perfectly portraying a woman who is challenged by being viewed as “just a body”, and Natalia Gonzalez’s scenes with audience interaction were a highlight of the show. The former life models and interviewer completed the ensemble, and whilst their scenes were brief, they added yet another dimension to the play with their nuanced performances.

The real star of the show is writer and director Emma White’s script. A blend of naturalism and more abstract theatre, the script’s greatest strength is its ability to convey a moment with such rich variety. Whilst the story is relatively simple, we are told it through so many lenses that it adds a completely unique texture to the piece. It is not afraid to leave things unsaid; the homosexual undertones between Freddie and Peter, the true nature of what characters want out of their relationships, and even the play’s resolution is left unspoken. It is a bold and complex script, and one that showcases not only the best of student writing but brings out some excellent student performances.

Whilst the unconventional space did present some problems – the acoustics meant that some dialogue was lost and some scene changes were quite clunky – The Nottingham New Theatre have managed to utilise The Loftspace to create an experimental piece of theatre that well and truly delivers. Up close and personal, this is a production that gets in your face and challenges the way we view our bodies and how we are willing to let others view us.

Edited by: Jess Greaney

Sources:

http://newtheatre.org.uk/whats-on/