This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In support of University Mental Health Day on Thursday 5th March, this week, the Her Campus Nottingham team are writing content on the topic of mental health to help raise awareness of mental health in higher education.

Mental health is something we should be looking after no matter where we are, but when we take the leap to move abroad away from all that is familiar and away from loved ones, it becomes even more important to pay attention to ourselves. Here are 5 steps on how to do it!

1. Stop and think

Sometimes, when we are abroad for the first time we might be overwhelmed with admin, offers to meet new people and new stuff to try out. It’s important to take a minute to stop and check in with how we’re feeling amongst all the rush and novelty. A good way to do this is by keeping a journal or simply messaging or talking to family and friends. 

2. Pay attention to what you’re doing 

Think about what kind of person you are. Do you prefer a night in with Netflix or do you like to keep very busy? Keep track of what you’re doing with your time. If you find your indulging in one or the other too much, then maybe something isn’t quite right. If you’re spending all your time in bed watching Netflix or even if you’re keeping busy as a distraction, it can be a much healthier option to reflect and talk to someone about your feelings instead. 

3. Remember what you’re feeling is normal! 

If you feel homesick abroad, it is nothing to be ashamed of! In fact, it means you’re lucky to have such lovely people back home that you miss, and they miss you too! Think about how you can get through moments where you feel homesick. Perhaps this is the time to make new friends? Or maybe you’d rather just write it all down? 

4. Keep a journal 

Keeping a journal is a brilliant way to help you reflect on your emotions but also to keep track of your progress as you settle into your new country. You don’t have to structure it in any specific way. Sometimes sitting in front of a blank computer screen and just typing your exact thoughts out can help cleanse your busy mind!

5. Talk to someone 

If you do find yourself not coping, then let someone know. As a university student abroad, there are plenty of people at the university who you could contact who’ll either reassure you themselves or let you know what next steps you could take. Let those around you know too if you feel like it. Perhaps they’ll invite you to something that’ll make you feel better or help you meet new people that will change your situation and get you back on track!

Karolina Kaluza

Nottingham '21

I’m a third year student of English and French at the Univeristy of Nottingham. Currently, I'm on my year abroad in Quebec, Canada. For more, follow ig @yearabroadblonde!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.