This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As we approach the end of term, that can only mean one thing- exams! Exams are a very important part of our studies, and while learning can be engaging, it can also be very pressuring to study and keep up with your peers, centring the end of term around exams. Sometimes, people socialise less and skip get-togethers with friends to complete their work. On the other hand, for others, knowing where to start can also be overwhelming and complicated, causing procrastination until the last minute. With exams approaching, following these skills and tips can help you work efficiently while enjoying university. Also, you must work out what works best for you individually to work to the best of your ability!

Take time off! 

Many believe they must work constantly to achieve, but this isn’t the case. Sometimes, you have to stop worrying about work and prioritise yourself. Whether it is half a day or a full day, schedule it into the diary as time off. This time off can be motivating; it will inevitably relax you, make you realign yourself, and make you more motivated to study after your break. So have a day where you go charity shopping, take a long walk, or return to one of your hobbies. Realistically, if you are doing the same thing every day, non-stop; you will become exhausted, you will become less efficient in your work, and you will begin to feel rubbish about yourself. Sometimes, taking a break from your busy life can help you get back on track and feel more in control. It’s like hitting a reset button that helps you slow down and focus on what’s important. By taking time off, you can align with your goals and remember that you aren’t falling behind. 

Why do we procrastinate? 

From my experience, there are two reasons for why we procrastinate. The first reason is that we already believe that we will fail in that area of study so we will either study something easier or not at all. A lot of the time, we won’t actually fail, it just stems from a lack of confidence. Many of us will place pressure on ourselves to be the best in all areas of our subject. However, we don’t need to be perfect. Put in some work each day, knowing you will eventually get there! A second reason we procrastinate is from being overwhelmed by emotions. This can stem from not feeling good about ourselves and feeling like we aren’t getting anywhere with our work. I met with my tutor earlier this week and said I had fallen behind. She told me to go through what I had done this week. I only then realised I’d done a lot more than I thought, I was looking too far forward, and realistically, I wouldn’t have finished a 4000-word essay in a week! A way to tackle this is by making an achievable weekly plan. Don’t overload it, and only put on what you know you will be able to do in a day. 

Procrastination can also be a result of feeling tired. As I mentioned above, give yourself some time off and recharge! Have an evening off and watch a Christmas film or meet friends. Mentally and physically, we cannot always study! 

Don’t compare yourself to others!

This can be challenging as we are frequently surrounded by studying peers and friends who are on the same course. Try to understand how you best study while prioritising your mental health. For example, I know I do not work well when it reaches 5 pm. My brain does not absorb the same amount of information compared to the morning. When you are grounded in how you work best, you won’t feel as stressed seeing your friend staying in the library for 10 hours. You won’t have that inside voice telling you that you haven’t done enough.

It is never too late to get the day back! 

We all have lazy moments because we simply cannot work at 100% all the time. But, getting back on track with our work can be the most difficult part. An important concept for university is that you can turn your day around at any point! Switch off your devices, get fresh air, journal, go to the gym, whatever it is, do something to get your motivation and focus back on your work. Remember your priorities are always changing, so if you spend less time on certain parts of your life that’s okay, you can’t always be doing everything to a high intensity. Prioritise what makes you feel best about yourself. It has been proven that when we exercise alongside our studies, we do better on average. Try to go to a fitness class or go to the gym for a little bit. 

Managing stress and balancing priorities at university is essential, especially during exam season. By taking time off, understanding why you procrastinate, not comparing yourself to others, and trying to remain positive, you can work efficiently while enjoying university whilst prioritising your physical and mental health.

Kate Hayhurst

Nottingham '24

Kate is the Head of Reviews at the Nottingham Her Campus, where she is the first point of contact for anyone seeking help writing reviews and collaborates with outside projects and companies for reviews. Her interests are in lifestyle and entertainment. She is currently a final-year student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she plays netball, leads a charity combating Period Poverty, engages with creativity and always drinks iced coffee.