Life > Experiences

How ‘Galentines’ day encourages the celebration of female friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Miley Cyrus told us to go buy ourselves flowers but how about we go buy our GIRLS flowers? 

Galentine’s > Valentine’s

Valentine’s Day is traditionally a time to celebrate romantic love, but have you heard of Galentine’s Day? This year (and every year to come) the 13th of February was all about celebrating and cherishing female friendships. 

The concept of Galentine’s Day was popularised by the hit TV show ‘Parks and Recreation’, where the lead character Leslie Knope throws a brunch for her closest female friends to celebrate their friendships and the power of women supporting each other. Since then, the holiday has taken popularity and is now celebrated by women all over the world.

Galentine’s is the perfect opportunity to show your female friends how much you appreciate and value their friendships. Galentine’s is an excuse to get together, catch up, and just have a good time. Whether you book a bottomless brunch, go clubbing or have a night in watching Magic Mike, the important thing is to spend time with your closest gal pals and celebrate the bond that you share.

The importance of showing the girls some love:

1.STRENGTHENING THE BOND: When you show your friends love, it helps to strengthen your bond with them. Your friends will feel valued and appreciated, which can make them more likely to reciprocate the love and strengthen the relationship even further.

2.BOOSTING HAPPINESS AND WELL BEING: Studies have found that positive social relationships, such as friendships, are important to our happiness and well-being. When you show your friends love, it can boost their mood and happiness, as well as your own.

3.PROVIDING SUPPORT: Your friends are there for you through thick and thin. When you need them they are there, and it is important for you to be there for them too. When you show the girls love, it helps them feel supported and cared for, which is especially important during difficult times.

4.BUILDING TRUST: Trust is essential in any strong relationship. When you show love, it helps to build trust. Trust can encourage more open communication and honesty, leading to a deeper and more fulfilling friendship.

5.IMPROVING COMMUNICATION: Showing love to your friends can also help to improve communication between you. When you express your love and appreciation, it creates an open and positive environment where you can communicate more easily and effectively. 

Showing your friends love is an important part of building and maintaining strong, healthy relationships. It can strengthen your bond, boost happiness and well-being, provide support, build trust and improve communication. So, take the time to show your friends love and appreciation, and enjoy the benefits of a happy and fulfilling friendship.

Galentine’s is a wonderful way to celebrate and strengthen female friendships. So, whether you are single or in a relationship, take the time to appreciate and celebrate the amazing women in your life. Galentine’s doesn’t have to be celebrated on February 13th. Galentine’s can be celebrated all year round. Get out your diaries. Book in the Girls. Go spread the love. It is never too late!

Poppy Branchett

Nottingham '23

I'm Poppy, A third year Business Management student.