etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Simple Changes to Make You Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Here is a list of the top five things we can do each day to make our bodies and minds healthier. Try to incorporate them into your daily routine; they are simple!

1.       Stand on one leg whilst cleaning your teeth! Prove your ability to multitask whilst improving your balance.

·         Try standing on your left leg in the morning and your right at night. Stare at a fixed point in the mirror (your beautiful eyes for example) and try not to fall or spill toothpaste everywhere.

2.       Turn off your phone for an hour.

·         Unwind and take time to relax from the virtual world. All the Whatsapps, Facebook notifications and snapchats can wait for one hour, trust me. See the difference in your productivity when your phone isn’t vibrating.

3.       Drink more water, to hydrate your body and mind.

·         Although it may mean more trips to the toilet, drinking water is vital for our bodies. It not only helps to flush out toxins but it can also improve your skin complexion. After a night out, a big glass of water before going to bed can help your hangover too!

4.       Hit the stairs! At home, at uni, in the shopping centre – everywhere you can.

·         Lifts and escalators can be tempting, but take the stairs! Try stair challenges with your friends (although running up the stairs in Trent Building may get you some strange looks!).

5.       Smile more! Be positive, have a laugh, watch a funny YouTube video – anything to increase your endorphin levels and enjoy the day.

·         Laughing, smiling and thinking positively is really important and taking five minutes to scroll through some memes or watch your favourite sketch on YouTube will increase your mood instantly… and then again when you tell your friends about the funny things you saw.

So there you have it, five simple changes that you can do every day to make yourself healthier. You can even use them as one of your New Year’s resolutions, as January is just around the corner! 

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!