Wellness

Couch to 5k: A beginner’s guide to running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Want to get into running but not sure how to begin? Want to improve your fitness level but not sure how to? Couch to 5k might be what you’ve been looking for. 

If you’re looking for a new, fun hobby to incorporate into your routine, I would thoroughly encourage you to try ‘Couch to 5k.’ For me, it’s been a stress-relieving screen-free break from working that has helped me to focus more and lead a healthier lifestyle. 

What is ‘Couch to 5K?’ 

‘Couch to 5k’ is a free app by the NHS and follows a 12-week programme for beginner runners to gradually work their way up to comfortably running 5km. There are three runs scheduled every week, with each one lasting about half an hour. It alternates between running and walking, gradually increasing the amount of time running and decreasing the walking in between so it’s completely suitable for beginners. Someone is always guiding you through the runs (you get to pick the voice) telling you when to switch between running and walking, when you’re halfway through the session and motivating you along the way. You can play music from whichever app you use at the same time, and the ‘Couch to 5k’ app works alongside it. 

Running routes

• University Park Lake: This was the first route that I tried and would definitely recommend it. It’s relatively flat and the gorgeous scenery helps to take your mind off the running. Ideal if you’re living on campus or to break up a busy day of lectures.
  • Wollaton Park: Another lovely scenic route surrounded by deer and wildlife. The only slight downside to watch out for is the fairly steep hill.
  • Nottingham Canal: Ideal if you live in Lenton, the canal is a popular route for runners and cyclists. It’s accessible via the pub garden of the Water’s Edge and is completely flat and smooth. 
  • Treadmill: Unfortunately, this time of year means it’s pitch black by 5 pm so running outside isn’t always the safest option. Usually, I try and go in the morning before Uni but for when I cannot get myself out of bed, or if you prefer running later on in the day, treadmills are a good option for dark, cold afternoons. The main advantage here is that you can maintain the same pace and control the incline

Overall, I would definitely recommend starting if running is something you want to get into but are stuck on how to begin or have previously tried and keep losing motivation. 

Hazel Miles

Nottingham '24

Hazel Miles is a writer for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, with interests in beauty and wellness, fashion, pop culture and film & TV reviews. She is a third year Liberal Arts student at the University of Nottingham, having changed course from a first year Film & TV degree. Outside of studies, she enjoys going to the gym, seeing friends & family and cooking.