Wellness

Christmas Time, Mistletoe and Your Wellbeing…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

You are one hundred percent lying to yourself if you try to say that Christmas food is not one of the best parts of the season. But with all these festive drinks, pigs in blankets, and mince pies on offer, it’s easy to neglect your health and overindulge. 

In moderation, of course this is totally okay (it is Christmas after all!) but it’s still important to think about your wellbeing!

So, here’s a roundup of some ways you can achieve both… 

1. Soups and stews are your best friends in this really cold weather as they are packed full of veggies but are also super comforting, warming, and filling on a frosty day.

2. Watch out for those festive drinks… those red cups of gingerbread lattes and hazelnut hot chocolates may look innocent but have hidden in them tons of sugar. For example, a Venti Starbucks Caramel Hot Chocolate with whipped cream and oat milk has 93.7g of sugar, and is the equivalent of a Double McDonald’s Quarter Pounder! Maybe swap this for some festive teas, like winter berries or chai tea, as these contain way less sugar but still have that festive flavour. 

3. Exercise! Okay, I appreciate these absolutely Baltic temperatures are not conducive to an early morning jog. But there are actually fun ways to get moving this season: ice-skating is a super festive way to spend time with your friends and get some exercise; a walk on a crisp morning can be refreshing and get you fitter (and of course dropping some killer dance moves to Mariah Carey at parties).

4. Watch the alcohol… Baileys, mulled wine, and Bucks Fizz are in abundance this time of year, and it is all too easy to get carried away. Maybe opt for the Shloer or flavoured sparkling water to give your liver a little rest! 

5. Pack in some veggies in your Christmas dinner because it’s not all about the stuffing and turkey! Try roasting your carrots and parsnips in honey and herbs, sautéing your red cabbage in cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon, or cooking your Brussels in a creamy sauce with bacon bits to make these veggies the centrepiece of Christmas day.

6. Be creative with prezzies! Food is such an easy option to bring to Christmas parties, but there are lots of other easy gifts you can bring instead of yet another box of Quality Street. How about a box of Christmas crackers, a pack of festive teas, or a cute Christmas bauble? 

7. Branch out with advent calendars. There are some wonderful beauty and gift-style advent calendars so you can get a little present every day in December. 

Christmas truly is the most wonderful time of the year. And of course, is a time to celebrate friends, family, and most importantly yourself too!

Katy Skillen

Nottingham '22

Hi, I'm a second year nutrition and dietetic student at Uni of Notts, interested in healthy eating and living, body positivity and all things food-related!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.