This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In support of University Mental Health Day on Thursday 5th March, this week, the Her Campus Nottingham team are writing content on the topic of mental health to help raise awareness of mental health in higher education.

*the following article contains themes which some readers may find triggering. Please read with caution.

As this week is the week of University Mental Health Day, I thought it was a good time to review some of the podcasts, books and series I find helpful on this topic. Unfortunately an increasing number of us are suffering from mental health difficulties at some point, with an estimated ¼ of people affected by anxiety or depression each year according to Mind UK.

It’s tough when university can be a breeding ground for mental health difficulties but if you find yourself in a difficult position, keep in mind that many people struggle, but many people also get better – there’s always ways to improve your mood…

Dr. Chris and Dr. Xand Investigate Mental Health: 

This thirty minute episode is specifically focused on mental health disorders including anxiety, depression, OCD, chronic stress and eating disorders. The show offered ways that we can manage our mental health, e.g. yoga, healthy eating, communication and hobbies. Interestingly, the science behind why we suffer from it was explained adding to the informative nature of the show. The doctors found that yoga could reduce cortisol (stress hormone) by 33%. I also learnt that our cortisol levels are higher in the morning to help us slide out of bed and they naturally decrease through the day but those suffering with anxiety have fluctuating cortisol levels which can impact sleep quality. Overall I found this episode, although catered at a younger audience, to be worth watching as it had a nice mixture between scientific explanation and practical advice regarding mental health. 

Rating: 3/5 

Mental – The Podcast to Destigmatise Mental Health: 

With 109 episodes so far, this Spotify podcast is a great way to normalise mental health issues. Bobby Temps, with various special guests, talks about many issues from depression, sex, body image, anxiety and relationships. The variety of the topics mean that it’s easy to find something that most young people can relate to or want advice on. Plus the casual, informal style of the show sprinkled with anecdotes and personal stories avoids the feeling of being lectured to. Although be warned it has a heavy tone, not really a light-hearted podcast. 

Rating: 3/5

Let’s Talk About Mental Health: 

With his soothing Aussie accent, Jeremy Godwin’s podcast provides practical advice about how to help ease your mental health problems. This one is helpful if you want solutions to certain issues. There are episodes on dealing with loneliness, stress etc. Worth a listen! 

Rating: 4/5

The Unexpected Joy of the Ordinary by Catherine Grey: 

I first heard of Gray when I was washing up and listening to Radio 4 (yes I’m such an oldie!), where she was talking about her new book which sounded humorous and was based upon appreciating the small things in life, which can lead us to having improved feelings of happiness and satisfaction generally. Notably her book talks about a tactic which involves listing at least 3-5 things everyday which you feel grateful for or good things that happened to you that day. She is aware it sounds cheesy but insists her mental health improved dramatically after joining a Facebook group dedicated to positive thinking. She also talks about a major reason why depression can occur – a sense of feeling useless – but by dedicating time to making others feel good, we simultaneously find our own purpose. This can be through volunteering or helping our neighbours. A very funny and thought provoking read! 

Rating: 5/5

Kate Welsh

Nottingham '20

3rd Year English and Classics student at Univeristy of Nottingham
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.