Alternative Societies – Tried and Tested

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

A recurring piece of advice thrown at Freshers is to get involved in as much Student Union activity as possible. This taster week I seized the opportunity to put to the test some of the the less acknowledged societies and share my experiences with you.

I had a vague idea of what I wanted from the societies I would be joining, but I really felt the need to give them a real whirl before I purchased membership with the university’s “TryIt” scheme. What a delightful week I had! Whether you want to learn a new skill, advance in skill or simply need something to give you that break from academia, one of these fantastic alternative societies could be just what you’ve been searching for.

BladeSoc

Location: Cripps Car Park

I was apprehensive yet optimistic; hoping for a clean slate, following a bumpy introduction to rollerskating at last years end-of-term Roller Disco. Having being peer pressured into trying BladeSoc, I was sweating with nerves (and from such glorious outdoor conditions), hungover or in fact still drunk from the night before. However, I persevered and felt like I achieved so much after only two hours. Not only was it fun to relive my childhood, but I also improved my skills tremendously in comparison to my shoddy attempt at the Roller Disco. And I didn’t even trip, once. But I won’t speak too soon. 

If you already rollerblade or skate, or would like to learn how, this is the society for you. Beginners like myself were acquainted with a guide who informed us of the basics such as balance, skating technique, how to stand, fall, stop and we even had some brief hill training. For those of a higher standard, games and Nottingham meet-ups are something to aim for. A society for anyone looking for outdoorsy, light-hearted fun that gives you the opportunity to sriously develop your skills and learn something new.

The Mic

The Mic is simply perfect for or anyone interested in live music, music journalism or simply want to meet their favourite band. This is the university’s only music magazine and they offer free guest-lists for gigs all across Nottingham with a small fee of a short review. There are also interview opportunities and pre-release albums from some of the biggest names in the music business. Get involved!

Latin, Ballroom and Salsa Society (LBSS)

Location: The Great Hall, Trent Building

Overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of ballroom hopefuls, the taster session was an indication of what was yet to come – a successful year ahead of LBSS. As an active member of last year’s successful team, and having trained and competed in Latin and Ballroom from a young age, there was no question as to whether I would sign up.

Renown coaches and experts taught some sassy Salsa steps, followed by some Ballroom basics in toe-stepping proximity. Despite the crowd, the atmosphere at the society was as usual, electric, mimicking the camaraderie of the competitions. LBSS welcomes members of any ability, from absolute beginners to accomplished dancers, and you don’t need to have a partner!

Student Action for Refugees

Location: Portland Building

I wanted to get my teeth in a charitable society that has relevance to current affairs. STAR is a unique organisation giving the students of Nottingham Students the opportunity to volunteer at the local refugee centre, teaching basic English and supporting local refugees, helping them to feel part of a community and especially welcome in our country. 

Enactus

A not-for-profit student run organisation, who works to transform the lives of people in need through setting up social enterprises that their by-product does both social and environmental good. They run social enterprises that you can get involved in, both in the UK and internationally, with a team of around 100 people at the forefront of social entrepreneurship laying the path for change. Find out more or apply for a position at www.enactusnottingham.org

Of course, studying and other responsibilities get in the way of being able to take advantage of all the opportunities available on campus, but even if you join one society- a sport, supporting a charity, participating in the arts or simply learning a new skill- you are essentially adding value to your degree. This not only demonstrates to employers that you’re willing to do more than required, but joining a soceity will seriously enhance your university experience and help you acquire essential connections and skills for later life.

For more info, visit:

http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/

Image sources:

LBSS photo taken by James Lewis

Bladesoc photo taken by Maxime Villa

First year International Media and Communications student at the University of Nottingham and Features writer for Her Campus! 
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.