This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With the easing of lockdown, low maintenance hair has turned into high maintenance colouring. Many have desired something drastic for their post lockdown glow up, and what more drastic than going platinum blonde? Nothing beats the confidence of freshly dyed hair. Many have brightened their hair with blonde highlights whilst other opted for a full colour. After all, blondes do have more fun… right? Well think again. Visible roots and brassy tones are two things that blondes are a little too familiar with. By following this guide, dull brassy hair can be a thing of the past!

Wash your hair once a week

Although it’s tempting to wash your hair every day, it can often do more damage than good. Excessive shampooing can strip natural oils from your scalp, creating dry and damaged locks. Instead, try prolonging the time in-between washes to help build up the natural oils. It is also important to note that everyone’s hair is different. Some hair is more prone to oils and therefore needs to be washed more often. So don’t worry if you can’t quite manage a week!

There are certain shampoos that can help prolong the time between washes. Sulphates within shampoos can be the leading ingredient to dry out hair. Sulphate is added to shampoos to create foaming. Although it’s nice to use a foaming shampoo, they aren’t necessarily the best for your hair. Therefore, I recommend using a sulphate free shampoo to help maintain moisture.

I suggest the following products:

• OGX Nourishing+ Coconut Milk pH Balanced Shampoo – £6.99
  • Kérastase Aura Botanica Bain Micellaire Riche – £19.95
  • OLAPLEX no4 shampoo – £26

Purple shampoo

Now that we covered how many times to wash your hair, it is important to discuss purple shampoo. Over time blonde hair can turn brassy. Purple shampoo is only used to help colour correct the brassy tones into an ashier blonde and therefore should not be used to replace your regular shampoo. Instead, it should be used before your regular shampoo. Once again it is important to only use this product once a week to avoid dry hair.

I suggest the following purple shampoos:

• Bleach London Silver Shampoo – £10
  • Beauty Works Anti-Yellow Shampoo –  £13.99

Hair masks:

Masks are a valuable step to make sure your blonde hair stays healthy and by applying them once to twice a week, this can be achieved. Hair masks are a deeply nourishing treatment that aim to repair damaged hair. They’re also the perfect way to treat yourself! Masks are left on longer than conditioner, allowing more time for the ingredients to absorb into your hair, making a noticeable difference in just one treatment. Masks contain many benefits such as adding shine to your hair and restoring moisture. Some masks are even designed specifically to keep colouring bright, perfect for platinum blondes!

I suggest the following products:

• Wella Colour Fresh Mask Pearl Blonde – £12.65
  • Joico Defy Damage Protective Masque – £12.95
  • Olaplex No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask – £26

Heat protectant

To maintain the health of your hair, heat protector is vital! Heat can dry out the strands of your hair, leading to broken ends and dull hair. Using heat protectant helps create a barrier between your hair and styling tools. Protecting your hair can seal in the moisture and control frizz, making hair appear smooth and soft. Before using styling tools such as hair dryers, straighteners and curling irons, the heat protectant should be evenly applying through your hair and brushed out.

I suggest using the following products:

• TRESemmé Heat Defence Spray Care & Protect – £5.99
  • 10-in-1 Miracle Spray – £11.99

Hair Serum

Hair serums are used to help restore oil, vitamins and minerals that are stripped away during washes, increasing moisture and shine. When constantly bleaching, hair is more prone to damage and broken ends. Hair serums should be used to mitigate such damage. For the full benefits, run through mid to low hair before and after drying.

I suggest the following products:

• The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Argan Oil – £5.95
  • Beauty Works Argan Serum – £11.99
  • Olaplex No.7 Bonding Oil – £26
Stephanie Else

Nottingham '22

Graduated with a geography degree at the University of Birmingham and recently started my Marketing MSc at the University of Nottingham. I look forward to sharing my knowledge on all things fashion and beauty.