timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Essential New Year’s Resolutions That People Forget About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

2019 is about to arrive in the blink of an eye and no matter how much I hate the phrase “New Year’s Resolutions,” I can’t deny that this is something which gives an occasion to countless people around the world to change their lifestyle. Let’s face it – everyone has at least once in their life told themselves that next Monday they would start go to the gym, next month would start go to bed before midnight, and next year would spend less time on the phone. For some unknown reason, every new year is considered themost ‘logical’ time to improve our lifestyle, though, we should not wait for next week, next month of next year in order to start a new book or find a new hobby. Because if you think about it, it is simply a waste of time and missing out on more productive and exciting moments in life. But since December is the month in which magazines, social media posts and blogs are overwhelmed with the same old and banal New Year’s resolutions, in the list below you are going to read about the things that are not only more important than joining a gym or saving money for the latest MacBook Pro, but things that could change your life for the better.

1. Make Monday the best day of the week

For some reason, Monday is often considered the most unpleasant and annoying day of the week. For some, that might be because of the tough weekend they had and even busier Monday they have to face, and for others because a long week is expected and Monday is only the first day of it. Whatever the reason is, it is not Monday the one to blame – your attitude is. Make Monday special and different from other days with something that makes you happy. Make yourself a fancier breakfast than usual, meet a friend for lunch, make a film night at home, visit morning or evening dance or fitness classes, make an unusual dinner or your favourite dessert to reward yourself for the hard day you have gone through. This will not only make you love Mondays, but you will generally improve your mood and make you appreciate the little things in life.

2. Take the initiative and say “why not” more often

If you are adventurous by nature, have done parachute jumps, climbed Everest or hitchhiked, then this one is not really for you. But for the rest – how about being braver in your decisions in 2019? Taking the initiative and responsibility for everything, requires solid dose of courage. Of course, I do not talk about organising a party on Friday or saying “why not” when someone offers you a drink. I have in mind those initiatives that make you more confident and experienced, or those who change lives. Be part of a volunteer campaign, plant a tree in a nearby park, help an adult when you notice they need help, smile at a stranger or make new friends by talking to someone new in real life rather than Facebook or Instagram. The ways are lots, and the consequences – potentially unforgettable.

3. Do not take things too personally and be more spontaneous

Regardless of how difficult it may be to sometimes change your character and attitude to certain situations or people, if you little by little start to look for the bright side or irony of unpleasant events or stop contemplating your intentions and plans – it will make life a great deal easier for you. For example, if someone tells you that they don‘t like a particular thing about you, or do not like your favorite music band, do not start a Third world war. Simply take a note of what has been said and ignore the fact that someone does not like pineapple on their pizza, even though that’s your most favourite. It’s easy!

Spontaneity is something that for many people is equal to insanity or recklessness. That is why, let me say that I do not mean to be spontaneous when the consequences can be fatal. Be spontaneous when planning a trip to London or Amsterdam (tickets are pretty cheap now by the way) or spontaneous when going on a car ride at midnight around your city with a friend.

4. Note down 3 good things that happened during the day

I know that for many of you it probably sounds silly, meaningless or funny… but I promise you that if you start doing it every night, you will definitely see how many wonderful and amazing things happen to you every day, and you do not even realise. Sometimes even having a lunch somewhere different from home or having a walk around campus means a lot, and we take it for granted.

5. Be good and thoughtful to homeless people

Perhaps one of the most important things on this list is that we should strive to be as human as we can. It’s winter, and there are so many homeless people in the streets who, for one reason or another, have found themselves there. Often, it’s not their fault, and the getting out of such a situation is more than difficult. There are, of course, organizations that take care of those who do not have a roof over their heads but they also do not have the superpower to help everyone equally. So if you have to take something from that article, please, let it be this: put aside as much food as possible from your weekly menu to a person living on the street and who is clearly in need. Or give away your old blanket, jacket or sweater that has been unworn in your wardrobe for years. And do not be ashamed to approach or speak to a homeless man – before everything else, they are human before they are called “homeless.” Lots of them have good hearts, and your gesture, which would not cost you much, would mean everything to them. There are a lot of things – buy your favorite meal deal for them, put some of your dinner in a box, if you work at a place where food is sold – take advantage of it and give the leftovers of the day to homeless people instead of the bin or a colleague, who hardly needs such a necessity. Be human.

Martina is currently in her third year at the University of Nottingham, doing International Media and Communications Studies. An aspiring journalist and passionate about writing, Martina likes contemplating about life, talking about travel, gym, sports, healthy lifestyle. Her aim is to challenge your mindset, make you think about meaningful issues and broaden your horizons as far as possible. Hopefully, she achieved it with the article you just read... or if not, hopefully at least you enjoyed it!