24 Hours of Vegan Eats in Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Calling all food-loving vegan students, you are in luck!

Nottingham city just happens to be a foodie’s dream, with so many really cool places (with very instagramable food), great student offers, and vegan choices in abundance. I’m here to take you through a day of eating out in all my fave places around the city, where you can get the most delicious, affordable vegan foods about…

Breakfast: Crocus Café, Lenton

Are you even a Nottingham student if you haven’t been here? This adorable café on Lenton Boulevard – probably super close to your house – is a perfect way to start the day. It is a community run café so all profits are put back into the local area and the staff are all volunteers and so lovely! A full vegan breakfast is little over £5, super filling, and it’s just such a cosy place you could even bring your laptop and do some work while you’re here over a cup of coffee (they have loads of plant milks at no extra charge!). One word: dreamy.

Lunch: 31K, Hockley

You’ll be so full up from your yummy breakfast you won’t need anything until lunchtime and I know the perfect spot to take a break. I only discovered this place very recently because if you join VegSoc at Uni you get a 20% discount so thought I may as well give it a try, and honestly, no regrets. For just £4 you make your own lunch box made up of a protein (can be meaty or veggie), a carb (the Cajun spiced chips are unreal), a sauce and veg. It is seriously good food, and a great place to go with friends as you can all make up your lunchbox differently whatever way you want. This place turns into a cool cocktail bar at night as well, which I need to try sometime. Also, Hockley just happens to be a super trendy vegan area, where you can shop in a zero-waste shop called Dash Vegan, or wander down to Sneinton Market area, where you can buy loads of cute plants in the most Instagram-worthy shop in Nottingham. 

Dinner: MOD Pizza, Old Market Square

Honestly, my favourite place to go. 1) It does student discount so you can get a full pizza for under £7 and, if you download their app, you can earn points super quickly to soon get perks and rewards. 2) You can go with friends as everyone will be able to make their own pizza as they like it 3) It is unlimited toppings!! I am probably super judged by the staff there when I ask for literally every single vegetable topping on my pizza (pineapple and broccoli and artichoke and olives – odd mix? I think not). It’s such a classic because you can never have a disappointing MOD. 

So, there you go, a full day of eating out in Nottingham, while being vegan, while being on a student budget. As if I need any more reasons to avoid cooking for myself…

Katy Skillen

Nottingham '22

Hi, I'm a second year nutrition and dietetic student at Uni of Notts, interested in healthy eating and living, body positivity and all things food-related!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.