The 10 fundamental things that will get you through university at Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From where to get the biggest discounts on everyday things, to how much to pay for a cab, and a sprinkle of study advice, here’s a countdown of the most important things that you need to know about going to university at Nottingham.

1. Find that cheap lunch ​

When lunchtime hour hits at University Park campus, Portland building gets crowded, as it’s the place with the most choice for food. But, if you’re patient enough, Boots put some of their food items on sale after the lunch rush, so you can get your craving of sushi, pasta, or a good old sandwich for cheaper!

2. Know your prices

Never pay more than £10 for a taxi into town – whether you’re going clubbing at 11pm, going shopping at intu Victoria, or rushing to catch your train at Nottingham station, if you’re on your own in a taxi it shouldn’t cost you any more than £10 to get into town. If you’re sharing a taxi with others, don’t pay anything above £3 each.  

3. Don’t be fooled…

I know those Unidays deals seem like the best benefit of being a student, but 10% really isn’t that much of a discount, so close all those shopping tabs you have open! Save the money for something you really need, like to pay your rent. (Unless it’s 10% on top of sale items – then I’d say it’s worth it)

4. Stay strong!

Stock up on vitamin C, especially on that first week of freshers. Fresher’s flu leaves no man or woman untouched, so get that immune system strong!  

5. Fancy a trip on award winning buses?

Buses into town (from university) for students costs just £1.50 one way! Take the Pink Line 28 or 30, or The Two if you’re heading towards intu Victoria from Jubilee Campus, or the Orange line 34 or 36 if you’re heading towards intu Broadmarsh and the Savoy Cinema from University Park Campus.

Just show your UoN student card as you board, and give the driver your money. (Sidenote – you will probably never have to use the tram – but if you do, buy your ticket at the ticket machine before you board.)  

6. Speaking of the cinema…

The Savoy has student prices from £4.75. £4.75! As a Londoner, this means that I can actually afford popcorn in the cinema, and don’t have to sneak in my own snacks!

7. Battle of the drug stores

Superdrug is cheaper than Boots. Trust me. Plus Superdrug do 10% student discount on top of their offers. AND they reward you back the VAT equivalent on their own brand tampons and pads onto their Health and Beauty loyalty card.  

8. MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS ON MUTE DURING LECTURES.  

9. On a more serious note: 

Independence takes time adjusting to – it can’t come naturally, it takes practice. If you ever feel overwhelmed, anxious, uncomfortable or scared, I highly recommend the university’s counselling system, who are there to help students deal with any issues they have at university.  

10. And lastly: ‘Effort Won’t Betray You’

Anytime you feel like you lack motivation, keep this mantra in your head, and remind yourself that final year students are repeating the exact same four words in their head too.

Information Sources

https://www.nctx.co.uk/2014/11/hat-trick-of-prestigious-award-wins-for-nottingham-city-transport/

https://www.superdrug.com/microsite/tampon-tax

Image and Gif Sources

1

2

Thumbnail