Nipsey Hussle Tribute: Paint your local communities white

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham Trent chapter.

Following the recent shooting of a talented young rapper Nipsey Hussle on April 1st 2019, the community is stunned yet again how acts of violence leading to death have been a trending phenomenon in the world today. Why do we have to sit here and wonder how long communities will fight within itself rather than taking part in organizations that can build communities simply by offering our own time? Fellow individuals, parents, teachers, mentors, and neighbors can all set a better example for empathy and humanity by playing active roles and creating a stance on matters they’re passionate about whether this is: putting an end to domestic violence, gang-related crimes, weapon possession, sexual assault, better education in children, etc. As products of our communities and global society, we are what we know.

Fans, fellow celebrities, and his local community have gathered in person, on tour, and on social media to pay respect to a man that was truly giving in more ways than through his music career. Before his rap career Hussle wasn’t a stranger to poverty or street violence and as a result, felt it was important to provide a safe space for children to be able to simply be children and not be forced to encounter events far beyond their mental capacity.

Vector 90 to help black youths from Los Angeles and underrepresented entrepreneurs break into the sector, which provided a place for youth to take classes in science, technology, and mathematics. He said the project would be a “bridge between Silicon Valley and the inner city,” and that he hoped to build other centers in big cities across the country. He was part of a group who created Destination Crenshaw, a museum honoring artistic achievements by African-Americans. “

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/11/books/children-without-childhood-life-in-the-projects.html

There are a vast amount of kids in impoverished areas overexposed to drug use, gang violence, death and having to take care of their families at an age that drifts them away from their roles as children, and it’s difficult to turn all their lives around but it takes one conscious effort that can spread beyond numbers. As a man of that will, Nipsey Hussle must be commended for his efforts because it’s the same kids that you nurture in this environment that end up either becoming what they saw or becoming a victim of what they saw. There needs to be a majority of opportunities available for communities in inner cities that don’t only allow kids to indulge in rigorous lifestyles. Kids have interests they want to pursue throw hobbies and outlets that allow them to do that from a very young age without compromising their lower income status are very detrimental to society. Other kids are extremely talented but don’t have the appropriate connections or means to bring this to fruition. The “poor get poorer” mentality needs to continued efforts to be gotten ridden off. Nipsey Hussle will always be remembered as one of the most educated and well-endowed businessmen to come from such a humble beginning. His message has always been about investing your money in assets rather than liabilities and building black-owned businesses, a message that more rappers and individuals with a seasoned platform should try and get across to their own communities. It doesn’t take a degree in African American studies, Philanthropy or Philosophy to have a voice and make use of it!

Continue these efforts. Work with your local public agencies and other organizations to help provide a consensus for common problems or mentor the youth or support them through several roles. There’s a lot you can do to give back that can become a weekend hobby that could go a long way. Begin the search today.

Lulu Seyvunde

Nottingham Trent '20

An easily impressionable adrenaline junkie, peace-maker and introspective idealist. I genuinely believe if there's a will, there's a way- and there's always a way. Studying marketing and branding, daily practicing the art of freedom of expression.