free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why is a Tennis Ball Fuzzy? And Other Interview Questions…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! That’s right, ladies, I’m talking about Career and Internship Fair time! I’m sure you already have your resumes polished and printed (but if not, it’s about time to visit the lovely people at the FedEx center in LaFun). 

So what about the interviews? Since you’re obviously a standout candidate for every single job and internship that you will be applying to, of course you are going to make it to interview round!

Last weekend, I had an interview that I was completely unprepared for. You know, the “long pauses after questions” type of unprepared. However, I thought I had prepared. It was supposed to be a ten-minutes maximum interview, and we were told to be prepare something short. I figured in ten minutes, they would just ask me why I am interested…right? I could not have been more wrong.

Sure, that was the first question. But, I also was asked some more interesting questions as well. Not to mention I had to partake in a role-play with George W. Bush.  You read right. The W.

My blunders in this interview inspired me to compile a list of questions to think about the next time you head into an interview. Here are some of the questions that I was asked:

1. “Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?”

“What?” I said. “Because the material that it is made out of is felt-like?”

Better Answer: “The fuzz slows down the tennis ball, thus preventing it from bouncing too high.”

2. “You’re on a stage. There are lights and an audience, and it’s a high-pressure situation. What are three adjectives to describe your debate style in this situation?”

Honestly, I think I responded with a question about the subject of the debate and then went on to describe my debate style. I don’t even think I ever got around to identifying three adjectives though.

Lesson: It may be helpful to create a list of adjectives that describe your personality or style appropriately and review them each time before an interview. It’s just really awkward not having a clear and definite answer.  Not to mention, interviewers will never let you off the hook if you can’t provide an answer.

3. The Classic “What word do you think describes you best?”

What I said – “Determined.”

Actually, I didn’t mess this one up too terribly. Due to the fact that it’s on every application in existence, I had this one down down pat.

Lesson: Yet another reason to create that list of adjectives! And to identify a few that really highlight your strengths concisely.

4. “If you could change any government policy, what would it be and why?”

Because the interviewer had my application, they knew I was a political science major. But, I think this question is really interesting and could be resurfraced in other interviews. This is a question that I really recommend tuning your answer to the situation that you’re in. Because let’s face it, politics is politics and sometimes getting the job requires you to play the game.

Lesson: NEVER advocate for some change you don’t actually want. You’ll just end up looking like an idiot talking about it. They want to hear you talk about an issue you’re invested in and how you can relate it back to whatever you’re interviewing for.  

5. “If someone were to write a biography about your life, what would the title be?”

Unfortunately, I came up with a grand total of zero ideas for this question. Luckily though, I don’t think anyone will be writing a biography about my life anytime soon.

In all seriousness, I don’t think I ever actually answered this question. Worse off, this was the final question of the interview. I’m pretty positive that I went on a rant about having a strong personality. Why would I ever say I have a strong personality? Even I have no idea.

Lesson: Stick to the question. Though it might seem difficult at the time, give yourself a few seconds to relax and think about what the interviewer is asking you. Remember that not having the perfect answer to every question isn’t a deal breaker, as I was still offered the position! *The crowd cheers*

And there you have it! I hope my interview blunders will help all you HCND ladies prepare a little better for the next time you interview.

Happy Interviewing!

Follow the HCND Pinterest account and keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!