This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s that time of year again — that horrible, stressful three-week period we college students go through just before we reach what can really be called “the most wonderful time of the year.” As we enter both the amazing holiday season and the high-stress finals season, I am preparing the best way I know how: baking.

Obviously, baking is an important part of the holiday season. We have gingerbread houses, Christmas cookies, fudge, caramel and all sorts of delicious candies to look forward to at Christmas parties and once we finally get home for winter break. Still, there’s no reason we can’t work these wonderful Christmas treats into our study routines.

Baking is a wonderful study tool. For me, at least, it helps relieve stress, it makes me just a bit happier, and I have a delicious study snack for later when I get down to the actual business of dealing with the exams/papers/presentations I need to finish. It also means I have something fun to share with my friends whenever they need a quick pick-me-up.

Obviously, on days where a lot needs to get done, there’s not a lot of time for a time consuming, traditional holiday recipe. The first two recipes here both take less than five minutes to prepare and cook. They’re perfect for a busy day of paper writing or cramming for that Orgo test you’re totally freaking out about.

First off, I have a recipe for 2-minute fudge. Fudge is one of my favorite foods of the holiday season. My family makes it homemade every year and it takes a lot longer than two minutes. This recipe requires a microwave and a glass dish or a regular dish lined with wax paper (hopefully you can find one in your dorm’s kitchen!)

From Tim & Angi

Ingredients

1 lb powdered sugar

½ cup cocoa or peanut butter

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ cup milk

1 tablespoon vanilla

½ cup butter

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions: Stir sugar, cocoa or peanut butter, salt, milk and vanilla together in a microwavable dish. Top with butter. Microwave on high for two minutes. Remove and stir until blended. Add in nuts. Pour into glass dish. Allow to cool.

Next, I have another cookie-in-a-mug recipe. A few weeks ago, I wrote an article all about baking with mugs. Here is the same idea, with a holiday twist. This recipe is quick and easy; definitely perfect for a quick study break/snack.

From No. 2 Pencil

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter, melted

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon vanilla

Pinch of salt

1 egg yolk

3 tablespoons of all purpose flour

1 teaspoon of Christmas sprinkles

Directions: Melt butter in a microwavable mug (be careful not to let it boil!). Add sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir until combined. Add egg yolk and stir. Stir in flour. Add sprinkles and stir again. Cook in the microwave for 40-50 seconds.

The two recipes take a little bit more time and effort. You’ll definitely have to be in your dorm’s kitchen but they are good for a longer study break (think reading days) and for sharing with overstressed friends.

Shortbread cookies are fairly easy to make (save anything too complicated for home, when you have lots of time and all the ingredients/kitchen supplies you could ever need). Plus, all the ingredients are easy to find in the Huddle. They’re yummy and easy to decorate!

From Every College Girl

Ingredients

2 cups flour

¼ teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

½ cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions: Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Whisk together the salt and flour. Beat the butter in an electric mixer for about 1 minute at medium speed. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Mix in the flour and salt on a low setting until combined.

Take plastic wrap and lay it out. Pour a little bit of flour on top to keep the dough from sticking. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and put into the fridge to chill for at least an hour up to over night (perfect time to take a quick baking break to go over your notes!). Preheat the oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thickness. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters and place onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.

Lastly, I have a bit of a soft spot for hot chocolate. Who doesn’t? Of course, I’m always interested in ways to make it more interesting than a simple K-Cup or instant mix. Here’s one I found using Nutella.

From Tammilee Tips

Ingredients

1 cup milk

2 ½ tablespoons Nutella

1 tablespoon cocoa

Directions: Whisk all ingredient together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour into a cup and top with whipped cream as desired.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1234567

Sources: 1234

Caelin is a sophomore who is currently majoring in English with a supplementary major in Irish language and a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. She is originally from Missoula, Montana (and believes that Montana actually is one of the best places on earth—even if there's only a million [human] residents). She is a little bit in love with all things Irish (mostly those things from Ireland itself, though she's a pretty big fan of the Fighting Irish too). She loves baking, New Girl, Criminal Minds, and reading. You can find her on Twitter (@caelin_miltko) and Instagram (@cmiltko).