jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Smarter, Savvier, Skinnier Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As Spring Break quickly approaches, many Domers have kicked their workout routines into high gear to get ready for swimsuit season. Rolf’s and Rockne Memorial have become packed with people motivated by their New Year’s and Lenten resolutions. Scores of people have begun reaching for bananas instead of brownies, and fish instead of French fries.

What many collegiates in search of healthier lifestyles may forget is that what we drink makes a big impact on our bodies as well. All our lives we’ve been warned of the downfalls of soda and sugary juices, but surprisingly, your daily coffee may also be sabotaging your health routine.

Several studies have revealed many health benefits from your morning cup o’ Joe.

Regular black coffee has around five calories, which can save sometimes hundreds of calories when substituted for sweet fruit juices or smoothies. Regular and decaffeinated coffee is packed with antioxidants. And if you needed any more convincing, the beloved beverage may also protect against type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, liver cancer, and may promote a healthy heart. (Of course, professionals suggest the ideal daily serving as two 8-ounce cups a day, but during midterms week that amount is highly debatable).

But what about other favorites – lattes, mochas, and other caffeinated drinks? You may have heard that these beverages can be nightmares packed with sugar and fats. This statement is true to a point. Recently, Starbucks has gotten some slack for a couple items on their menu; what may seem like an innocent mid-afternoon pick-me-up may actually be a total diet killer.

But while there are some drinks on the Starbucks menu that you should definitely try and avoid, but there is also a silver lining – you can modify your favorites to make them a little better for your waistline.

BAD: For example, if you love all things sweet, your heart probably skips a beat when you taste the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino®. Sadly, a grande (medium) size contains 420 calories, 20 grams of fat, and 52 grams of sugar – almost the amount of sugar in a king-sized Snickers bar.

GOOD: There is hope! By asking for nonfat milk instead of whole milk, skipping the whipped cream, and opting for a tall (small) size, you can save 220 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 16 grams of sugar. Many flavors of Frappuccino’s® can be ordered as “light,” which means the barista uses nonfat milk, sugar free syrups, and omits the whipped cream.

BAD: When the temperature drops below zero (classic Midwest weather) nothing sounds better than a warm drink to sip while working on homework. Unfortunately, your go-to White Chocolate Mocha has 470 calories (just thirty calories short of the amount in a large order of fries from McDonald’s), 18 grams of fat, and 59 grams of sugar hidden within its creamy, sweet deliciousness.

GOOD: Make a healthier choice by opting for a nonfat caramel macchiato – you get the same sweetness while saving 280 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 27 grams of sugar!

Substitute this sweet caramel beverage for the White Chocolate Mocha and save more than half the calories!

BAD: Do you prefer getting your caffeine from tea? Don’t be fooled by the Green Tea Crème Frappuccino®. Though it does contain green tea (in a powder form), which has numerous health benefits, it also packs in extra fat, carbs, and sugar.

GOOD:You’d be better off going for the regular brewed green tea. Whether you prefer it hot with a squirt of honey or iced and lightly sweetened, you’ll be saving up to 300 calories and getting about the same amount of caffeine.

Choosing regular green tea – either hot or iced – is a far healthier choice than the sugary Frappuccino® version. 

Starbucks will always have a special place in our hearts, especially while we struggle through late-night study sessions, dreaded 8 a.m. classes, and extra-boring lectures and meetings. As midterms week creeps closer and closer, our bonds with Starbucks will only grow stronger.

If you’re focused on making healthier decisions, you don’t have to steer clear of the beloved coffee chain – just make better choices when you order! When in doubt, ask for nonfat milk instead of whole, avoid the whipped cream, and make “light” and “skinny” staples of your vocabulary. 

Starbucks even helps its customers make healthy choices by providing a list of yummy beverages under 200 calories. You can find it here

Enjoy your coffee and good luck with midterms!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!