Recovering Post Holy Half

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Up until now, you’ve likely been preparing and thinking about the actual running of The Holy Half, but it’s also important to consider what you will be doing after the race! Making sure you do and don’t do certain things after the race will ensure that you feel as good as you can afterwards.

In order to reduce muscle soreness, and ensure a successful transition back to running (or working out in general if you have had enough running!) follow some of this advice.

Immediately Afterwards

1. Keep moving

Once you cross the finish line, put on a few more layers of clothing if possible and then (after cheering on any of your friends as they finish) try to walk or jog for 10-15 minutes. While it may be tempting to stop and chat with friends or you feel you can’t move another step, this will help you to feel better throughout the rest of the day and the upcoming days.

2. Eat something and drink water!

Runner’s World magazine explains that its important to start the refueling process within about thirty minutes of finishing. Although you may not have much of an appetite, try to have about 300 calories worth of simple carbs. You should also make sure to have a few cups of water immediately after finishing. Even though it’s cold and you may not feel yourself sweating, you have likely lost a lot of water!

3. Stretch

Devote a good chunk of time to stretching after the race. If you want to chat with friends, do that and stretch at the same time. I know I can always tell the difference between when I stretch after a long run and when I don’t!

Later that day

1. Get some extra rest

Likely, you are going to be more tired than usual after the race. If you can squeeze in a nap definitely do it! If you can’t try to go to bed early to get in a few extra hours.

2. Keep drinking water

Keep a water bottle by your side and keep drinking. Doing so is important to make sure you aren’t dehydrated.

3. Do some yoga and/or self massage

Even if you have followed all of the golden rules of recovery, you will likely still feel a bit sore or stiff. Doing some yoga or more light stretching is a good idea. If you’ve never done yoga, check out some of Ann Margaret Mazur’s favorite poses and her short instructional video. Ann is a Notre Dame alum and former member of the track team!

If you have a foam roller be sure to roll out after the race. If you don’t, try to use some self-massage techniques. Check out this article if you need some instruction! ACTIVE explains that doing this will speed up recovery by drawing blood to damaged muscles.

The days after the race

Take the day after the race off, but make sure to take some short walks to keep your blood flowing. Keep up your yoga and self massage and ice anything that you notice is particularly sore.

Two days after the race, feel free to add in some non-impact exercises like swimming, aqua jogging or hop on the elliptical or bike. I notice that getting my blood pumping helps me to feel less sore, but if you are still feeling very tired, don’t feel like you need a structured workout. Over the next few days take note of how you are feeling and slowly ease back into working out, if that’s what you want.

Happy workout, ladies!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Sources 1,2,3,4,5,6

Abbey Murphy

Notre Dame

Abbey Murphy is a senior at Notre Dame from outside of Boston. She's majoring in pre-health studies and sociology and is passionate about all things related to health and wellness. She hopes to share information which will help collegiettes feel their best as they work towards reaching their goals.