Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to My Beautiful Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’m surrounded by beautiful women that I get to call my friends, and sometimes I don’t know what to say when they go through tough times because of their looks. Here is my response to all of my stunning friends—feel free to share this with all of your amazing besties! 

An Open Letter to My Beautiful Friend:

You’ve been having a rough go of it lately, and don’t think I haven’t noticed. I have, but I haven’t been able to come up with the right things to tell you. So, in genius fashion, I thought that I’d write down all the premeditated things that I’ve been meaning say to you. 

Where to start? The most important thing is that I can’t imagine life without you. Every day you make me smile—especially when you fall out of bed, send me videos of fashionable people so I learn what “cool style” is and when you put on your Spotify playlist that has a mixture of Hamilton, Paula Abdul, K-Pop, Ciara and Post Malone on it. Getting to be your friend helps me realize all of the things that truly matter to me in my life, and I hope that I can return the favor by telling you what it is that you deserve and what you have earned from others: respect and love. 

People tell you that you are beautiful. It seems like I’m doing it almost every day and I want to apologize for this because you are so much more than your physical looks. People are drawn to you because of your gorgeous face and body, but that doesn’t give them the right to treat you like an object, especially guys! I want you to be happy and I know that there is some awesome guy that’s going to give you the world, but the ones that treat you like a balloon—letting go of you when they are bored—aren’t the ones that deserve you. You aren’t an object, and your worth goes way past the shiny appearance on the outside. When I look at you, I see a hardworking woman who juggles so much on her plate but always gives it her all. You always manage to laugh and make jokes, always make sure that I am taken care of and are always confident and bold. These are the things that truly make you, you! 

The best advice I can give you is to be patient. And I know that this sucks to hear, but it’s way better than hearing, “there are plenty of fish and the sea!” or, “I don’t understand why you don’t have a boyfriend, you are so pretty!” While I might not understand how you haven’t locked someone down, it isn’t because you are stunning, it’s because you are so sweet, so funny, so caring, so hardworking and so fun to be around. What person in their right mind wouldn’t want to be with you?!?! Patience is tough, but, “good things come to those who wait,” is how the saying goes, and it’s true. You deserve all the happiness and love in the world and I will be right by your side to help give it to you! Don’t underestimate the blessings that you do have in your life because you have a ton! Beautiful girl, you can do amazing things and I believe your future is bright because you’ve earned every good thing that comes your way. And when the bad things do roll around, I’ll always be there to help you and your warrior-self fight through them. 

Love, 

Addison

Image 1, 2

Addison Quinn

Notre Dame '22

Hi all! I am from Granger, IN (a lengthy twenty minute drive away from campus) and Ryan Hall is truly a home away from home! I am an intended Marketing major with a Collaborative Innovation minor, but I love trying new things! I’d say my spirit animal is a giraffe because I’m tall, awkward when I run, have a longer than average neck, and don’t drink nearly enough water.