Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I went home for the weekend, and it was the best decision I’ve made all year. Being in college is not easy; there are so many factors that contribute to stress and anxiety including academics, extracurriculars, social life, mental health and physical health. The list doesn’t even stop there.  

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

I was feeling very overwhelmed in all aspects of college life, and it all felt like I wasn’t doing as well as I could be doing. I was calling my parents and brother every day to tell them how stressed I was, and my little brother suggested that I come home for the weekend. I thought about it and thought that it might backfire if I miss anything school-related, but after talking to him for a while I decided that my mental health is worth missing a class. I needed to push a reset button and come back with a fresh start. 

I packed my bags and said goodbye to my friends—who are like my chosen family, so a couple of days away from them was going to feel weird. I got to the airport and it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I looked out the window of the airport and saw the heavy snow falling from the sky. While it was a pretty sight, I could only think about the blue Atlanta skies that I was about to see. 

Sun shining from behind clouds
Pixabay

I landed at sunset in Atlanta and got chills when I saw the place I call home painted by the colors of the sky. When I landed, I could only think about how happy I was to be home. I didn’t have a care in the world. My head was clear, and it felt so nice. I got in the car with my mom who was grinning ear to ear to have me back with her. When we pulled into the driveway, I saw my dog through the window; so I ran to the door and she didn’t leave my side for the rest of the weekend. My brother and dad were at hockey practice when I got home, so I waited—impatiently—for them to get back. When they did, seeing my brother smile was worth the whole trip. The rest of the weekend consisted of constant laughter and love. It was seriously what I needed. Family really does know you best.

Taking a weekend off from being a college student is necessary once in a while, and there is no shame in it. It made me appreciate my family and home so much, but it also made me miss my friends and the beautiful chaos of life at Notre Dame. By the end of the weekend, I wasn’t necessarily ready to leave my family, but I was ready to get back to campus. Anxiety is no joke and doing what you can to make yourself happy is so important. Whether that’s walking around campus, talking to your mom, blasting music in your car or going home for the weekend, it’s so important to find those things that bring you joy. You have to make yourself happy first—which can be hard to do—but it’s a process. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Photo 1, 2 and 3

Mary Alice Millard

Notre Dame '22

My name is Mary Alice, and I am a sophomore at Notre Dame and I am studying American Studies and Spanish. I was born in New York City, but I grew up in and consider Atlanta, Georgia my hometown. In my free time I love to hang out with my friends and family, and write about what is going on in the world!