Late Night Snacking: Potato Chip Replacements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Sure, there’s nothing wrong with a handful (or two) of potato chips every now and then. They’re delicious and definitely a great treat for a party or girls’ night in. But they’re just a bit too easy to grab late at night when you’re just a bit hungry and not quite sure what you want to eat. Once you start, it can get a bit hard to stop — and regularly eating whole bags of potato chips doesn’t exactly make you feel the best. But, never fear, in this age of constant worry about health and diet, there’s plenty of healthier options that can be easily found at any grocery store that can replace those late night munchies.

1. Kale Chips – Vampire Killer

Maybe the kale thing is a bit overdone, and there’s a decent chance that you already have a strong opinion on it (either you think it’s the best thing since sliced bread or it’s vastly overrated). But there’s no doubt replacing fried potatoes with seasoned kale is healthier. While I can’t suggest plain kale chips, I am a big fan of Brad’s RAW Vampire Killer Kale Chips. The seasoning isn’t heavy, but it’s just enough to make this snack perfect for late night cravings.

2. Popcorn

Of course popcorn is a fairly obvious answer, and it’s pretty easy to purchase at any grocery store. Both Skinny Pop and Boom Chick Pop make various flavors advertising their tastiness and low calorie advantages. But popcorn’s lovely in that it’s also easy to make up your flavors at home. Just airpop some popcorn kernels, and add sea salt or sriracha or whatever seasoning fits your fancy. Of course, the traditional butter and salt is always an option (even if it’s not the healthiest).

3. Chickpea Chips

These are another in the line of healthy potato chip options like black bean chips or veggie chips or hummus chips or quinoa chips or you get the picture. While personally I do love the veggie chips/straws, I find that they are easy to munch on mindlessly. But these chickpea chips are delicious and I manage to feel satisfied after just a handful — a definite advantage over the traditional potato chip.

4. Apricot Ginger Crisps

For me, these are a fairly new discovery. The flavor is sweeter than you might traditionally want if you’re craving potato chips, but the fruit makes for nice, sweet treat in the evening. The twice baked crisps walk the line between crispy and chewy, which somehow makes them all the more appealing. Other flavors include a fruit and nut version, which is sure to be delicious as well.

5. Homemade zucchini chips

These aren’t quite as convenient, as they aren’t store bought. But if you’ve got the time and inclination, they are a fun weekend project. The trick is to make the zucchini slices a consistent thickness — if they vary too much, the baking time becomes tricky to handle and some end up overdone and others remain underdone. Try this recipe if you’re curious.

All of this isn’t to say you shouldn’t indulge in your favorite Lays flavor or in those Cool Ranch Doritos from time to time. You definitely should — but if you’re itching for something a bit healthier, any one of these options are definitely a tasty and healthy option. 

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Caelin is a sophomore who is currently majoring in English with a supplementary major in Irish language and a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. She is originally from Missoula, Montana (and believes that Montana actually is one of the best places on earth—even if there's only a million [human] residents). She is a little bit in love with all things Irish (mostly those things from Ireland itself, though she's a pretty big fan of the Fighting Irish too). She loves baking, New Girl, Criminal Minds, and reading. You can find her on Twitter (@caelin_miltko) and Instagram (@cmiltko).