nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Internship Style: How to Dress Without a Dress Code

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This summer I landed an internship with the Surfrider Foundation that I could not be more excited about. As the spring semester turned into summer and the details of my internship were finalized, I asked about the dress code. The response? No specific dress code. If you’re one of the many ND girls who secured a city internship with a big firm, this may sound foreign to you. But if you’re in a more causal work environment or if your internship embraces the casual Friday tradition, you’ve probably wondered what this actually means.

A “no dress code” dress code can be both daunting and exciting at the same time. Strict dress codes may not promote versatility in your wardrobe, but at least you know what is expected. Without a dress code, you have to rely on your common sense and creativity a bit more. To help decode the “no dress code,” let’s lay out some basic “Do’s & Don’ts”!

DO:

• Take note of what your female coworkers are wearing. As the newbie, I tend to dress half a level up.
  • Paint your nails. Even if it’s just a neutral or clear coat, it’s important. As an intern, you’ll almost always be taking notes in front of your superiors, which means your nails will be very visible! With that in mind, make sure to maintain your polish! No polish is always preferable to chipped polish.
  • Feel out the vibe in your office and work it into your look.
  • Bring a classic carryall tote. The ND standard nylon Longchamp bag will do nicely or opt for any simple neutral colored tote that fits you.
  • Take the time to do your hair and makeup. This is essential in looking polished (No excuses. Your internship is not your 8:00 AM lecture.)  
  • Finish your look by accessorizing! But remember, less is more.

DON’T:

• Wear flashy clothing. This should go without saying.
  • Wear club heels. If you’ve worn it to Feve, don’t wear it to work.
  • Wear workout gear. Lululemon included.
  • Rock the leggings look. It’s summer. I can’t think of a summer internship acceptable outfit that involves leggings. Avoid it.
  • Wear a strapless without a cardigan or jacket. Strapless doesn’t scream professional. 
  • Stand out because of what you wear. I am all for individual style, but at your internship your clothes shouldn’t stray too far from others in the office. You don’t want to be noticed for looking out of place. You want to be noticed for being hardworking.

That being said there’s no need to look like an office drone. I still rock all six of my rings daily. I’ve even been complimented on a few. Every work environment is different, but I put together a week’s worth of  “no dress code” outfits, without defaulting to jeans, to give you some ideas! (Jeans could be totally fine in your office, but I would recommend waiting a few days to be sure!)

Monday:

Top: Banana Republic; Flats: Tory Burch (any metallic flats are a great investment!); Necklace: Charlotte Russe

Tuesday: 

Jacket: Old Navy; Top: TJ Maxx; Pants: Target; Sandals: TJ Maxx (Vince Camuto. Killer find.)

Wednesday

Top: Neiman Marcus Last Call; Belt: Old Navy

Thursday: 

Blazer: J. Crew; Dress: BCBG Generation

Friday: 

Wedges: Target; Top: Saks Off Fifth (P.S. This was my interview outfit.)

TIP:  If your closet is missing a few essential pieces, here’s some great places to shop on an intern budget to get high quality clothing to wear to work: Nordstrom’s Rack, TJ Maxx, Off Fifth (Saks Outlet), Neiman Marcus Last Call.

For more on summer style, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images: 1, all others provided by author

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!