How Successful of Role Models Are Our Young Adult Leading Ladies?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

There are so many Young Adult (YA) movies and novels featuring some of the world’s most beautiful leading ladies. Children, teenagers, and adults of all ages have fallen in love with the characters in these fandoms. Some of the most popular of these fandoms include Twilight, The Hunger Games Series, The Divergent Series, and the Harry Potter Series. Barbies, video games, movies, apparel, and all other merchandising containing the leading ladies’ faces bring in millions of dollars per year. With all the press these women get, what messages are they sending the population they cater to? Is it a positive or negative one? Here’s a look at four leading characters from four of the most popular fandoms: Bella Swan from the Twilight Series, Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games Series, Tris Prior from The Divergent Series, and Hermione Granger from Harry Potter Series.

Bella Swan

Bella Swan has to be the weakest of the four leading ladies. Let’s break this down for a second. First of all, she allowed herself to be stalked and controlled by Edward Cullen. He watches her sleep, he follows her around without her knowing, is incredibly jealous, and extremely elitist and inclusive. Not only that, when Edward left her, she turned into a hopeless mess. She is not a healthy role model for young girls and women. She shows how women need a man to survive, she does not construct healthy relationship expectations, and she allows for a (small) level abuse from her boyfriend. This absolutely is not a positive image for girls to have about what a woman should be, what she should expect from a guy, and how both parties should act in a relationship. Boo you, Bella Swan. 

Katniss Everdeen

I personally love Katniss Everdeen. She volunteered as tribute in place of her little sister Prim, is extremely loyal to those that she loves, and will go out of her way save the lives of those that she does love. However, I feel like both Peeta and Gale make her weak. She is willing to put the lives of her city and town in order to save their lives. Some people deal with tough situation involving their loved ones differently, but personally, it’s not fair for an entire population to suffer for one person. 

Tris Prior

Tris Prior from Dauntless is one of the coolest gals ever. She used to be in Abnegation, risked being disowned from her family to follow her heart and dreams. She boxes, jumps from trains, has a ton of confidence, a huge work ethic, and is still super loyal. Plus, she’s Divergent, so she has qualities from other factions as well! She has a leading man too, but she does not let him control her or hold her down. They help each other, develop as better human beings together, and have a very healthy relationship. This is a very good message to send young girls: to follow their dreams, live for their hearts, and love unconditionally. 

Hermione Granger

Hermione Granger has to be the best role model for young girls out there. I don’t even have to explain why (but I will, because she is the coolest). To begin, in an academic setting, Hermione is the smartest girl out there. She knows all the answers to everything, studies so hard, makes education a priority, and loves school! She’s loyal to her friends and family, and she’s overcome the “Muggle” stereotype and showed the wizarding world that she could succeed. When romance issues arose between her and Ron, she stuck with Harry through the heartbreak because she knew millions of lives were at stake.  She is strong, independent, and gives the boys and girls of Hogwarts a challenge. She is the EXACT role model that I would want my children to have. Harry Potter was the “Boy Who Lived” because of Hermoine…just saying.  

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love

Image: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5