How To Punta: An Island Novice Does Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I, Sara Ann Spittler, have never been on Spring Break before, in the traditional sense. (LOL you thought my name was Sara Spitt – it isn’t.)

I expressed earlier in the week my hopes and dreams for SB2k15. Now that I am headed to the island paradise of Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, my situation is becoming #tooreal. In evaluating what I will need for my week on the beach, I have prepared a list to share: 

1. Nourishment

While I will be fed regular meals at the resort I will be staying at, I am still concerned about getting proper nourishment while on vacation. All-inclusive resorts provide three meals a day, but don’t usually have many options in between designated meal times. My solution is to bring plenty of mini LUNA bars (preferably island fresh flavors like Chocolate Dipped Coconut and Lemon Zest!) with me on the airplane. That way, I will have something to snack on while relaxing on the beach, in between meal times. Obviously, an ice cold Corona is equally necessary, for which I will require a pink HC koozy. 

2. Sun Protection

My perfect beach scenario involves a giant floppy hat, attractive sun-kissed men fanning me with palm fronds, and a fruity rum-based beverage in hand. I think the more realistic case is me sitting on a beach towel, the floppy hat atop my head, awesome hot pink sunglasses (many thanks to HC for sending them my way) blocking out the haters. Constant reapplication of SPF30 will also follow because sun protection now is wrinkle prevention in the future!  

Thanks for the pic, Her Campus Shop! 

3. Old-fashioned Entertainment

The beach doesn’t have WiFi?! My solution is books, books, and more books! I’ve already loaded up my iPad mini with Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan because I’m a hardcore Notre Dame Feminist. HCND writer Kirsten Hoffman made some great suggestions (like Gone Girl) early as well. I also have hard copies of The Intern’s Handbook by Shane Kuhn and Dirty Rush by Taylor Bell because I’m hanging on to my college youth for dear life. 

4. Hair Care

With the heat of the sun beaming down on the top of my head for hours each day, I fully intend to take extra special care of my hair this week. I’m a huge fan of Not Your Mother’s Haircare products when I’m trying to avoid damaging my locks. Clean Freak Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner is my first choice for stripping away the salt and sand after a day at the beach, or chlorine from time at the pool.

Before blow drying, I like to use Way to Grow Long and Strong Leave-in Conditioner. Although I rarely style my hair, ocean-side clubs call for Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray. This spray gives volume and flow to literally any hair type. I have straight hair that refuses to hold any kind of curl or wave, but this texturizing spray really does the trick. 

5. Style Guide

As some who generally doesn’t spend a lot of time in warm weather, packing for this trip was a #struggle. I finally managed to fit all of the outfits I want to bring into a reasonably sized suitcase thanks to blindly reaching in and randomly choosing items to eliminate. What I did not toss out, however, were my fabulous Love Thee HCND tank, my adorable new Aerie swim suits, a Hawaiian shirt, a maxi dress, and tan wedges. I’m not a big dress person, so I packed a few different outfit options including a romper, jogger pants, and fun cover-up shorts. I definitely referenced HCND writer Katie Berens’s Spring Break Must Haves list as well. 

Whatever your plans for the coming week, have fun and be safe! HCNDxo

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1 courtesy of author, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 courtesy of author

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!