Career

How to Not Succeed in Business While Really Really Trying: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s that glorious time of year again. The time when everyone on campus is getting interviews and acceptances for summer internships and I am forced to smile and congratulate through gritted teeth as I panic about my own plans for the summer. Yes, that’s right. I have been applying for internships since early fall and still do not know where I will be or what I will be doing after finals in May. The saddest part of all is that the rejection emails don’t even affect me anymore; their sting disappeared over a month ago. Now, I feel as if I await the rejection; knowing that once I know for sure, I can fully move on and put my best foot forward somewhere else.

People say that rejection is a vital part of life, and having experienced it time and time again, I would have to agree that it is. Each job I get rejected from is a chance to grow and better understand myself through the eyes of others. While it is easy to put oneself down after receiving yet another rejection, it is just as easy to turn the negative response into a positive learning opportunity. It forces me to analyze my resume and cover letter or go over the questions from my interview and make tough decisions as to what is necessary and what is holding me back. Practice makes perfect, after all!

Going to Notre Dame, while it truly is an honor and a privilege, is also incredibly intimidating. Just like they say that Instagram is dangerous because you can too easily compare your own life to someone else’s “best” life, at Notre Dame I am constantly judging my accomplishments based on those of my peers. Since returning to campus this semester, it seems as if every conversation I overhear in the dining hall or in my classes revolves around the most amazing internship so and so has at (insert well known and respected company here). On the one hand, I am proud to attend an institution that allows for students to shoot so high, but on the other, I get nervous because I fear that I will never be able to compete with someone in the professional world who has such prestigious experiences racked up already.

Obviously, it is near impossible to completely steer clear of these anxiety-building comparisons, but as soon as you can focus on yourself and stop being overwhelmed with these thoughts, you will be better off. It’s tough, especially as we are surrounded by so many talented individuals, but finding ways to manage it will ultimately give you more confidence and faith in yourself, both of which are helpful in the job application process. If you find yourself struggling to find work this summer, or even post-graduation, please remember to take a deep breath and keep moving forward. I’ve been told by many upperclassmen that everything eventually works out, so keep your head high, continue to send out those applications, and best of luck in all your endeavors!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1234

Jessica Ping

Notre Dame '19

Hey everyone! My name is Jessica Ping, I'm a senior here at Notre Dame, and I live in the palace of campus, aka Flaherty Hall! Generally you can find me on Instagram, watching Netflix, or singing with the Liturgical Choir. I would consider myself a professional napper. I'm just your typical college student who is still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.