This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

My version of “new year, new me” typically means “new year, new playlist.” Something about approaching a life change with some favorite tunes by your side can be so comforting in unfamiliar situations. Over the summer, I put together a list of songs that seemed to catch the vibe of junior year at ND. Hopefully, they will inspire playlists for whatever season of life in which you may find yourself. :)

“Memories” by Maroon 5

Okay so…this song just dropped last week but is PERFECT for those upperclassmen starting to reflect on the college memories they’ve made. This world truly does not deserve Adam Levine.

“I Forgot That You Existed” by Taylor Swift

Need to enter this academic year with a clean slate? Then this song is perfect for you! Not to mention that the entirety of T-Swift’s album is ~golden~. It’s an ideal mix of a modern pop feel and the sentimental lyrics of her beginning albums! She’s truly outdone herself.

“Grigio Girls” by Lady Gaga

While I’m on my female empowerment kick, I had to include this fun girls’ night song from one of my all-time favorite artists. Whether you’re getting ready with your squad or just want to jam during your movie night, this song has all the fun energy you could ask for.

“Señorita” by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello

I know I’m not the only one hanging onto the last feelings of summer, and this ~saucy~ song’s flare has me obsessed. Plus, Shawn Mendes. That is all. 

P.S. You’re saying I’m not really on a beach in Miami whenever I listen to this? I sincerely beg to differ.

“Only Human” by the Jonas Brothers

In honor of arguably the most iconic reunion of the decade (other than Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, of course), a song from the Jo Bro’s fun new album just had to be included. Other Happiness Begins favorites are “Love Her,” “Trust,” “Sucker” and well—every single song.

“Don’t Call Me Angel” by Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey

Seriously… could we ask for a more iconic collab? The power in this song captivates every bit of energy I aspire to possess. I was not at all emotionally ready.

“Tears Dry On Their Own” by Amy Winehouse

For those in a more ~soulful~ mood, this Amy Winehouse classic is the perfect mix of sassy and fun. Speaking of which, see below…

“Juice” by Lizzo

Last (but not least) is the girl boss song we all know and love. Whether you’re in that early midterm szn grind or just need an attitude pick-me-up, Lizzo has you covered. This song, in particular, makes me want to get up and dance on even the most stressful of days.

Music has such a healing power that can remind us of both the old and the new in the uncertainty that often comes with starting the semester. No matter what playlist you create, I hope it sparks joy in your everyday walks to class, workouts or study sessions. :) Photo 2

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Grace Dean

Notre Dame '21

I am a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in International Economics & minoring in the Hesburgh Program in Public Service. I currently serve as the Director of Health & Wellness within Student Government’s Executive Cabinet and am a proud member of Badin Hall. In my free time, I love spending time with friends & family, drinking coffee, and playing guitar. I am a Hoosier at heart (originally from Noblesville, Indiana) and love writing for Her Campus!