The Dorm Room Survival Guide: Packing Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

One of the greatest transitions from high school to college is moving into the residence hall you’ll call home for the next four years. To ease that changeover, I have solicited the insight of the experts:  2014-2015 Ryan Hall RAs, Sarah Staten, Kelsey Weber, and Emily Voorde, and Lizzie Helpling, recent graduate and former Lyons Hall RA. With more than three years of Notre Dame dorming under their belts, these ladies are regular pros. Together, we have devised a complete four-part manual to help you create the best possible dorm experience. This edition: packing musts!

This time of year, the world-wide web is teeming with suggested packing lists for the upcoming school year. With so many checklists and “expert indexes” to scroll through, how can a girl know exactly what to buy? Luckily, the University of Notre Dame Office of Housing provides a useful list to reference.

Tailored specifically for ND students, this guide will give you a better idea of what to purchase. For example, Ryan RA Sarah Staten notes a few must-haves for the first year on campus,  “Get a carpet (or at least a rug): those nights when ya (sic) just don’t feel like sitting on a chair or when your social gatherings exceed your number of seats available, having a comfy floor is key.

Bring command hooks: these babies are lifesavers! And the more variety of sizes you can bring the better. They are perfect for hanging towels, coats/scarves (which you definitely need living in South Bend), and even pulling back your curtains. The best thing about these hooks is that they are easy to remove and leave no marks! (Note: The command strips are also great for hanging posters and pictures).”  

One of the best ways to keep track of your personal packing list is to use The College Packing List available through slugbooks.com (a valuable resource when it comes to buying textbooks).  This handy and interactive list allows users to create a customized packing checklist based upon a series of suggested items.  As a bonus, the list is even available as an iPhone app for easy access while on the go. 

For clothing suggestions, take a look at Sydney Zepf’s article, The Notre Dame Essentials: What to Pack, which features several of the key articles of clothing you’ll want to bring along to campus this year. Keep in mind that the weather is often unpredictable, and that fall arrives early to South Bend.  The secret to staying warm all winter long? A great pair of gloves and a cozy parka. Not to be forgotten are, “Rain boots and blankets galore,” mentions Lyons’ Lizzie Helpling. Those of you Notre Dimes transitioning to the Michiana climate from sunnier areas of the globe will find Bizzy Berg’s article, Packing Advice from a Southern Girl to be a major help as well.

When it comes to packing your belongings for move-in day, aim for efficiency. Swap your boxes for canvas and Ziploc bags, which will conform to the contours of your parents’ car much better than cardboard will, and consider gathering your clothing as featured here to make for easy unpacking.  Don’t hesitate to become a labeling fanatic!  Mark your bags and any luggage with masking tape to indicate each container’s contents; in the long run, you’ll save yourself a great deal of time.

Whether you’re a Badin Bullfrog or a BP Babe, one thing is certain:  you’ll always have a home under the Dome. Your “big sisters” are looking forward to meeting you, so enjoy your summer as you prepare to move-in.  See you in the fall!

NOTE:  Specific information regarding each of the twenty-nine Notre Dame residence halls can be found online at the Office of Housing website, and through the Frosh-O booklets provided by each hall’s personal website.

Check out the next issue of The Dorm Room Survival Guide: Roommates!

New to Pinterest? So are we! Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and  Facebook!

Images: 12, 34

Cara

Notre Dame

Born and raised in the suburbs of Ohio, Cara is a sophomore Neuroscience and Behavior major at the University of Notre Dame.  Join her as she navigates the ins and outs of her home under the Dome!