Packing Advice from a Southern Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As a freshman, moving to South Bend, Indiana from a warmer climate can be an incredibly daunting task. Being a Southern girl myself, I had no idea what to expect weather-wise. I remember late August, searching for anything that might keep me warm for the winter and having absolutely no idea where to start or what to look for. So, I thought I might try to compile a list of the important things to look for before starting your freshman year.

Comfortable Shoes

Whatever your personal shoe preference is, be sure to bring some comfortable shoes for ND. Running across campus because you’re late to class and having giant blisters on your feet is not a fun experience. While flip-flops work just fine at home for lounging around or running errands, they are not ideal for going to class everyday. If Sperrys are your thing, then you will not be alone on campus. If not, there are plenty of slightly more supportive sandals and sneakers that can be perfect for fall, before the mountains of snow start appearing.

Boots

Speaking of snow, eventually, you’re going to need some boots. I made the mistake of buying monstrous, clunky, expensive snow boots that I rarely wear. While some people may tell you that you need the really heavy boots for the snow, really all you need is something that is waterproof and warm. I would advise spending money on something you know you’ll wear rather than the boots fit to trudge through Alaska.

Parkas

While at first glance big winter coats look scary, they can actually be the best things in the world. Somehow, there are designers that have managed to make something as warm and comfortable as a sleeping bag still look cute. My advice on the coat situation is to look for something that has a cinch at the waist. Also, don’t expect to find one at home. In a place that never gets below 30 degrees, it took days of looking over Thanksgiving break to find the only store selling knee-length parkas. Right now, there are tons of sales on heavy coats online, which can help you save a lot of money on a really expensive necessity. Another hint, people might make fun of you if you break that parka out before a certain acceptable cold temperature. I’m still not quite sure what the threshold is, but if I find out, I’ll tell you. 

Coats

In order to deal with the fun-pokers, I recommend looking for a coat that is not quite as big as your parka but still pretty warm. These aren’t nearly as tricky to find in the South, and most likely, the warmest thing you wear in the winter at home will probably be fine for transitioning out of the Indiana fall.

Dresses

Another thing I feel slightly mislead about is the dress situation at ND. I remember being told that I didn’t need to bring many dresses or heels, that I could always just get them from home later when I needed them. This may be good advice for those close to the Bend, but those far away from home might want to consider bringing the favorites along at move in. Also, while shopping, know that if you buy a dress, you will have an event to wear it to.

I hope that this short list can provide some guidance for the many questions filling your head as you approach the beginning of the school year. Most importantly, know that especially at Notre Dame, people do not judge you based on the clothes that you wear. As long as you sport whatever you are comfortable in, you will be just fine. Good luck packing and enjoy your first semester!

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6