kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Domer Dorm Food Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

In a few short days Domers everywhere will be packing their bags, loading up their cars, or stuffing their carry-on’s for the long awaited trip back to Notre Dame. In the past few weeks you’ve probably made plenty of last minute trips to Target or Bed Bath & Beyond for dorm room essentials and toiletries, filling your carts with hangers, cleaning supplies, and maybe some new additions to your back-to-school wardrobe.

One of the most important staples for a college dorm room is a mini fridge, and what many people put off till the last minute is getting food to fill it.

Whether you are an incoming freshman or returning student, it can be tricky to predict how much and what kind of foods you’ll need in your room during the year. You’re bound to get hungry between trips to the dining halls and it can get expensive buying snacks from Starbucks or Au Bon Pain every time you get a rumbling stomach.

Thankfully you have some time during move-in weekend to utilize your parents’ cars to make much-needed trips to Martin’s or Target (Unless you have your own car, in which case – can I have a ride?).

People’s tastes may vary on which snack foods they love to have in stock, but there are a few essentials you should make sure to have on hand during late night study sessions or busy weekdays.

1.  A quick breakfast item

You’ve heard the phrase “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” a thousand times but that doesn’t make it any less true. Studies have shown that eating a healthy breakfast in the morning can lead to improved grades, increased concentration, and healthy weight. Even if you aren’t always hungry in the morning, grabbing something on the go can help you save money and extra calories later in the day.

Since a lot of people would rather sleep an extra half hour than get up and head to the dining hall for a hot breakfast, keeping easy-to-grab options available in your dorm room is a smart option.

Last year I experimented with eating different kinds of bars in the morning, from Clif Bars to Quaker® Oatmeal to Go. On days when I had a few extra minutes, I poured myself a big bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios or made myself some instant oatmeal (Quaker® Real Medleys Oatmeal is perfect on a cool morning).

2.  Coffee (or some other source of caffeine)

Although Notre Dame has plenty of different places to grab your morning cup of Joe  sometimes it’s just easier and cheaper to make your own go-go juice. Having a stash of coffee or tea in your room is always a good idea. Stock up on K-Cups for Keurig owners, tea bags, or instant coffee to prepare for much-needed caffeine fixes.

3.  Add-ins for your coffee or tea

It may be easy to forget this part, but if you’re the type of gal who likes cream or sugar in her coffee/tea, having enough on hand in your room is a no-brainer. I bought a big box of Splenda at the beginning of August and it lasted me all year!

4.  Peanut Butter

Peanut butter is amazing for many reasons. It’s inexpensive, has many uses, and contains much-needed protein to tide you over until dinner. It’s a great item to slather on a banana for a healthy breakfast or post-workout snack. Sometimes you just need to grab a spoon and eat it straight from the jar when you need a little bit of comfort food.

5.  Bananas and Apples

These two fruits were a staple in my diet last year for the sole fact that you can basically get them for free. Just slip an extra one into a coat pocket or your backpack on your way out the dining hall for a healthy snack later in the day or night (totally legal dining hall practice). Bananas and apples are low-calorie snacks and contain many essential vitamins and minerals, so you can feel a little bit better about yourself when you eat fruit instead of tempting chips or cookies from the Huddle (The dining halls also have grapefruit and kiwifruit in stock virtually all the time if you’re into that too!).

6.  Cereal

Although it was mentioned briefly in my breakfast foods point, cereal deserves the title of an “essential” all on its own. It’s not just a breakfast food but an anytime food for college students. It’s a great food munch on while doing homework and a healthy yet satisfying late night snack. I made sure to keep a box of Special K® Chocolatey Delight cereal in my room for that very reason!

7.  Carrots and Hummus

Another delicious and good-for-you snack option that I enjoy. Carrots contain lots of Vitamin A, which promotes healthier skin and vision while hummus can help fight hunger cravings and balance blood sugar levels with its protein and boost your energy with its iron. Having healthy food on hand will make it so much easier to resist temptations and cravings. Guacamole, peppers, or celery are great alternatives, as well.

8.  Light popcorn

Skinny Pop is my new favorite thing. If you haven’t tried this amazing popcorn yet, run to the nearest grocery store and grab a bag. Or two. Or five. Can I have one?

9.  Something sweet

It’s impossible to resist all of your cravings, and simply cutting out all sweets is a recipe for disaster – you’re bound to cave eventually. I like to keep a little something sweet in my room for when I need a pick me up. “Treat yo-self,” I say proudly. 

Happy grocery shopping, collegiettes!

XOXO, HCND

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!