Campus Celeb: Kristen Collins, a Leader at Notre Dame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Kristen Collins is an accomplished transfer student who made the move to Notre Dame from Carroll County in Maryland. Kristen will be a senior this upcoming fall, and is a double major in Economics and Applied Computational Math & Statistics. Doesn’t that sound more like six majors? Her two majors are not the only thing she focuses on at school. She also works many days in the week to tutor children and is involved in Notre Dame’s Ultimate Frisbee team! I decided to interview her to get a better idea of her involvement with these organizations.

Notre Dame Ultimate is a club sport at ND. What do you think makes this sport stand out compared to other club sports on campus, such as soccer or lacrosse?

I would say that the camaraderie we have off the field brings everybody together. We call ourselves a family because everybody is so close.

Recently you were selected as captain for the 2014-2015 year. Tell me about how your feeling!

Well, I am incredibly excited to take on a leadership role in the club that I have been a part of since I’ve been at Notre Dame. I have an overall excitement for next year because we have a lot of people returning and we are looking forward to competing on the regional and, hopefully, national level again! I’m also excited to get to spend the next year with my best friends.

Aside from ND Ultimate, what are other organizations are you involved in on and off campus?

I am a part of Transfer Student Group on campus. I also tutor at the Robinson Community Learning Center four days a week, and I work with the volunteer coordinator for the Talk with Your Baby program, which is a nonprofit program in South Bend that educates mothers and families in general on how to communicate with your baby to increase literacy. I really love spending any time not spent on campus or with ND ultimate at the Robinson Center because I really believe in what they do and I really think they have an impact on the community.

What is your favorite animal?

I would have to say it’s not just my favorite animal, but my spirit animal as well. A cat. Meow.

As a rising senior, what is one piece of advice you’d like to give the incoming freshman?

My piece of advice would be to, first and foremost, get involved. Decide what you like to do and find a group of people who share that common interest. Enjoy your time while you’re here, because it goes by so fast. Don’t leave anything left undone.

What are your plans for the summer?

I will be in Miami, FL interning in Product Management for Windhaven Insurance. I am going from Notre Dame to Miami, so I am pretty excited to spend my summer down there!

There you have it, folks. Kristen Collins took advantage of her one-less year at Notre Dame and got as involved as possible. She recommends you do the same! Thanks, Kristen!

Photos provided by Kristen Collins.

My name is Meghan!  I'm a junior undergraduate student at the University of Notre Dame.  More shocking than not, I come from Ann Arbor, MI—home of the Wolverines!  I'm an avid dancer and a complete music nut.  I come from a big family of six kids and have three dogs and two cats, because bigger is better.