jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bop to the Top: What A Dance Competition is Really Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

For all you dancers out there, you know how intense competition season can be. For all you non-dancers out there, I am here to inform you of just how insane, yet amazing of an experience it is, and I think that everyone should get to go through this at least once.

I have danced competitively for fourteen years, and with my mother having danced throughout her life, and with two younger sisters rising up the ranks in the dance world, you can sort of say that dancing runs in the family (except for my college baseball star father- shout out to right field!). I have been twirling in tutus for as long as I can remember, and when I wasn’t on stage, I would be helping other performers backstage with quick costume fixes and brief run-throughs on routines.

This is one of my old dance photos, back when I danced for Dance Factory in New York City

At the end of high school, I can honestly say I thought it was something I would never be able to pick up again. But then I joined the Ballroom Club at Notre Dame. Totally different style of dancing; the shift from jazz and tap to waltz and cha cha is pretty drastic. And yet, the rush you feel on the dance floor never changes. After competing last weekend, plus all of my experience on the stage, and behind the scenes, I can consider myself a competition guru at this point.  Here’s the lowdown of what I’ve learned:

1.  It starts off by waking up early.

Inconceivably early. Too early. The sun hasn’t even considered waking up yet early.

Who thinks that 5 am is a good time to function? Not me.

2.  Then there is the getting ready.

The hair. The makeup. The fake eyelashes. Whatever your team’s go-to style is.  But at the end of it, your hair is so pristine that it is as hard as a rock from all the hairspray, and your makeup is so on point that your eyes sparkle.

There is no such thing as too much glitter in the dance world; although glitter spray never seems to come off of anything.  Ever.  Don’t believe them if they tell you otherwise.

3.  Next is the commute to the venue.

Usually, teams tend to carpool together so you get to blast good music, and get hyped for the upcoming day!

Unless you’re unconscious, considering it’s probably 7 am, and you have a long day of dancing ahead of you.

4.  Once you get there, you scramble to claim your territory.

My dressing room. Mine. Go somewhere else other studio, you are not welcome here. Or worse, when you had to share a dressing room, and would just stare down the other teams from across the way.

5.  Then there’s getting ready to perform.

Various pep talks, make up checks, and run-throughs backstage, last minute snacks. All a vital part in the experience.

Nothing more stressful than waiting in the wings. The butterflies in your stomach always decide to throw a rave at that exact moment.

6.  Then comes the performance!

You get out there and you slay it! You are on top of the world, nothing can bring you down! 

The girl in this picture is my little sister Nicole. I know, I know, it’s unbelievable right?

7.  Until you get off stage and all the nervous whispers start.

Who might have been a count behind? Who slipped during the dance and missed a step? Who had a hair malfunction? Soon enough your world starts to feel like an episode of Dance Moms.

Which for a TV show is sometimes strangely on point.

8.  After your performances, it’s time for awards!

Everyone gets on stage, fun music plays, T-shirts are thrown into the crowd, it’s all fun! Until it’s results time.

You wait and wait until you hear your performance number.  Nothing beats the rush of winning at a competition! The screams! The excitement! It is wonderful.

9.  You win some, you lose some, but that’s okay.

It’s the experience that was the best part, and the bonding with your team that makes it so worth it.

At our first competition, we came in second in cha cha and fifth in jive! Anything is possible! And who knows, trying something new might lead to a new passion you never thought you would want to pursue, I know it did for me.

Also, show some support for the Notre Dame Ballroom Club! Check us out on Facebook, and if interested, feel free to inquire about lessons, whether they are just social, or if you want to go for competition! You never know until you try!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8

Well hi there!Here's 5 cool facts about me:I am an Computer Engineering major from New York City.Corny jokes make me laugh... actually, almost anything can make me laugh.  You will always find me giggling at something ridiculous.I am a Spanish and Italian half-breed, but I speak fluent Russian (crazy I know)Dark chocolate is my number one weakness.Nothing makes me happier than making someone smile :)Check out my articles if you'd like!