Being Sick Blows: How to Feel Better ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Well, it’s happened. You knew it was inevitable, but somehow you didn’t realize it would happen this quickly. You’ve tried to deny it for as long as you could, but it’s gotten to a point where there’s no ignoring it anymore. Yep, you’re sick.

Getting sick at some point in college is a given for the majority of college students. After spending lots of time outdoors this summer, we’ve returned to a life of cramped dorm rooms, busy halls, and full classrooms. It’s nearly impossible NOT to catch a cold or cough (or worse) when you’re cramped up inside for the remainder of the year.

First and foremost: recognize the signs of sickness. Warning signs vary, so it’s important to know your own body. You know that feeling in your throat that makes you just feel like you’re going to get sick? That’s my giveaway – my throat gets raw and a little scratchy, and I start coughing a little more than usual. That’s when I know it’s time to start taking precautions.

You can begin preparing with what you’re putting into your body. Run over to the Huddle or the bookstore and grab yourself some cough drops and orange juice. Cough drops are a no-brainer because they provide instant relief. (Plus the Huddle carries a variety of flavors!)

I love having orange juice on hand when illness strikes because it fulfills an entire day’s worth of vitamin C in one serving. While vitamin C can’t actually prevent the common cold, the majority of evidence shows that taking high doses of vitamin C might shorten the course of the cold by one to one and a half days. Don’t like OJ? Try some Airborne tablets dissolved in water – they also come in different flavors and contain all sorts of good-for-you vitamins and minerals.

The next important thing to do is rest. You may feel like that can’t possibly be an option if you have a dozen things going on in your life, from classes to homework to clubs to social commitments, but if you keep going at your usual pace you’re going to not only feel even worse but you may even make yourself more sick! Since you don’t want to suffer more than you have to, take a weekend off and stay in watching Netflix with your friends or catching up on some homework before hitting the hay early.

Sleep is so important for college students – especially when you’re sick! Sleep helps your body fight infection because when you’re catching your zzz’s, your body makes more white blood cells that attack viruses and bacteria. In one study, people who got 8 hours of sleep a night were 3 times less likely to come down with a cold when compared to people who slept for 7 hours or less! So try your hardest to get to bed a bit earlier – even twenty extra minutes can help!

And if all else fails and you just can’t seem to shake off your illness, it may be time to head over to St. Liam’s. They may tell you what you already know, but it’s always worth it to get a professional opinion to make sure you’re doing the best you can to get yourself back into tip-top shape!

So grab your cough drops, OJ, and get comfy on your futon for a little Netflix binge, because you deserve to treat yourself nicely when you’re sick. Get well soon, collegiettes!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!