kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Restorative Locations on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The life of a typical Notre Dame student is overwhelming, to say the least. If you are anything like me and find yourself caught up in the vicious cycle of homework, exams, class and football games, it is important to find places across campus where you can unwind. The following are a few of my favorite spots to nap, study, enjoy the (rare) sunlight or just take a breath between classes.

McWell

If you are looking for a zen place to de-stress, McWell is the perfect space for you. This hidden gem lies right behind the dome, on the second floor of St. Liam Hall. With free snacks, tea and even essential oils that you can make yourself, McWell makes for the perfect hidden paradise. If you visit their website before you go, you can reserve one of their three rooms. If you need a cozy place to nap or write an essay, the fort is the perfect spot. If you’re missing home or want to reserve a larger space for you and your friends to study, reserve the living room. They even have a break room with video games, board games and music for your study break.

Debartolo Study Lounge

Tucked away behind the computer lab in Debartolo Hall is the study lounge. Many of my friends who spend all day in DeBart had not known about this lounge until I dragged them there between classes. Not only is this a prime location, but the study lounge also has comfortable bean bags as well as booths to do homework in. I love this location because it is always quiet and two of the walls are glass and look out towards Duncan Student Center.

Carole Sandner Hall (ACE Building)

This spot is great, particularly because there are free snacks and coffee. Take a seat on the sofa by the fireplace and stay till 2 am! In addition to this, when the weather gets nicer, the courtyard between Carole Sandner and Brownson Hall has a few tables and a great dome view.

Geddes Hall Library/Cafe

I love this location because the atmosphere feels like a coffee shop, although there is no cashier and the coffee is free! I also love the amount of space in the booths and the student art that lines the walls.

North Quad

I truly believe that most Notre Dame students do not spend enough time on grass. I find that the more time that I spend outside in the sun, the happier I am. There’s nothing better than soaking up the sun on North Quad after all of your classes get out.

Coleman Morse

I’m not sure what it is about Como, but I have always loved studying in the large room on the first floor. Right across the hall, you’ll find Campus Ministry where you can grab a free cup of coffee or tea from their Keurig. The second floor is also home to the Learning Resource Center, where you can attend tutoring sessions. Their lobby serves as a great area to do collaborative work with your friends.

The Blue Sofa in Duncan Student Center

Right behind Star Ginger, there is a small alcove with a giant blue sectional. This couch is by far the most comfortable place to sit in Duncan, but be warned: you’re chances of falling asleep and missing class doubles the second you touch the cushion.

Two bonus study spots:

The tables in the corner of the 12th floor of Hesburgh Library and the seats on the 5th Floor of Duncan Student Center (by the Career Center) both have incredible dome views.

With all of the stress that classes ensue, it is important to find those places where you can catch your breath. When it comes to relaxing, I’ll be the first to admit it: the engineering study lounge does not cut it.

​Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Jessi Dirksen

Notre Dame '21

I am a junior at Notre Dame majoring in chemical engineering and living in Lewis Hall. I am involved in Lewis Hall Council, Society of Women Engineers, the ND Club of Rochester, and I work at the new Duncan Student Center. I love TV shows like Game of Thrones, The Bachelor, and Big Brother. In my spare time, I like to practice yoga and read outside.