girl with arms open in nature
girl with arms open in nature
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Style

The 5 Sustainable Athleisure Brands You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As a college student, incorporating sustainable practices into your life can be challenging. Yes, many of us use reusable water bottles and recycle our food packaging from Modern Market, but it doesn’t feel like enough sometimes. I was reflecting on these feelings during quarantine when I also happened to be looking to buy more athleisure for all the extra time I was spending sitting on my couch…I mean…trying new workouts. In my search, I came across five incredible sustainable and ethical athleticwear shops, and I have fallen in love. Contrary to popular belief, investing in sustainable clothes does not mean you have to sacrifice on quality, comfort or style. Get ready to ditch the Lulus– I promise you won’t regret it! Here are 5 Sustainable Athleisure brands that will knock your socks off!

Pact

Pact isn’t your average athleisure store: they’re aiming for  a world without toxic chemicals, sweatshops, or child labor and they’re working to make it a reality. With a wide variety of neutral colored basics made from fair-trade cotton, Pact is the perfect place to stock up on all your socks, underwear and leggings. In case that isn’t enough for you, they also have an awesome bedding and bath selection! Make sure to sign up for an account to get 20% off of your first order.

Author’s recommended purchase: Go-To Legging

Outdoor Voices

OV is on a mission to get the world moving in sustainable, comfortable workout gear. Their collections are perfect for activities ranging from intense gym workouts to dog-walking to backpacking. On top of being exceedingly cute and comfy, Outdoor Voices prioritizes ethical labor practices and fair trade as well as using sustainably sourced materials made from water bottles. Although the clothes are on the pricey side, the ultra-soft and long-lasting nature of them makes it so worth it. Don’t forget to use your ND email to sign up for an account so that you can get their student discount!

Author’s recommended purchase: CloudKnit Hoodie

Girlfriend Collective

Girlfriend Collective says they’re earth’s number one fan, and based on their sustainable practices, they’re definitely telling the truth. With 100% recycled and recyclable packaging, leggings made from 25 recycled post-consumer bottles, and tees and tanks made from 100% cupro (a fiber made from waste the cotton industry leaves behind), Girlfriend Collective has gone all in. You don’t want to miss out on their diverse collection of workout gear including unitards, scrunchies and windbreakers.

Author’s Recommended Purchase: FLOAT Cleo Bra

Move Beyond

Move Beyond is all about helping women gain confidence and energy through becoming active in the outdoors. By blending sustainable fabrics into their clothes, they seek to provide all-day comfort as if you’re wearing nothing at all! Move Beyond is the store for you if you are looking for natural looking and feeling workout gear at a reasonable price point.

Author’s recommended purchase: High-Rise Run Short

Organic Basics

Organic Basics takes sustainability and comfort to the next level by only using natural, renewable, recycled, biodegradable and low-impact textiles. With organic cotton bras, TENCEL tank tops (fiber made from responsibly sourced wood pulp), and yoga shorts made of recycled nylon, Organic Basics has all the eco-friendly staples you need. Take your time to look around the brand’s extensive men’s and women’s collections, but you definitely don’t want to miss out on their extra-sleek and comfortable leggings.

Author’s recommended purchase: SilverTech Active Leggings