5 Reasons to Wear Nike Shorts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last Saturday, I woke up to one of the very few sunny days we’ve had in the past few weeks here in the good ol’ Midwest. I rolled out of bed, relishing in the luxury of being able to wake up to complete silence – not having to be jolted awake by the jarring ringing of an angry alarm clock.

After going through my morning hygiene routine, I headed to my dresser to pull out my clothes for the day. What did I choose to wear? My beloved Nike running shorts, of course!

Nike running shorts live up to their reputation as a staple of the classic college girl wardrobe.

I used to laugh at how utterly cliché they were – the unofficial uniform of every collegiette in America – or so it seemed. When I first arrived at Notre Dame, I noticed how polished students dressed on a day-to-day basis.

Soon into the first semester I began to learn how to incorporate comfort into my daily wardrobe without sacrificing all of the style. I learned that leggings are most definitely pants (who has the energy to pull on anything but an elastic waist every day?), oversized sweaters are akin to wrapping yourself in a blanket for class, and Birkenstocks are insanely comfortable once you embrace their somewhat frumpy appearance. But the style I was most eager to adopt was the Nike running short (This may sound like an advertisement, but I promise it’s not.),

Nike running shorts are the best shorts – period. Feeling doubtful? Here are a few reasons why I’ve become borderline obsessed with these shorts.  

1.  They’re comfortable

As musical legend Barbra Streisand once said, “My pants have elastic waists. I like to be comfortable. There are so many more important things to worry about.” The elastic waists on Nike running shorts are comfortable and forgiving.

Tempted to grab another cookie? Go ahead! These shorts got you covered. Is comfort your number one priority when picking out what to wear in the morning? Reach for these babies.

What’s even better is the fact that these shorts don’t ride up between my legs when I’m walking or running. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m pretty curvy around my waist and thigh area.(My “Beyonce hips” as I once proudly proclaimed, though I’m afraid mine don’t come close to the magnificence of Bey’s curves.). I’ve always had issues with shorts riding up between my legs because of this, and have thusly been wary of any pair of shorts I’ve tried on. If you’ve ever been in this sticky situation, you should definitely give these shorts a try.

2.  They’re flattering

Bouncing off my previous point, a huge asset to Nike shorts is that they’re so darn flattering.

They look good on basically any body type, whether you’ve got a thinner frame, an athletic build, or curves. One of my biggest concerns about shorts is their length. I’m not the type of girl who feels confident working out in barely-there spandex (Ironically I played volleyball for seven years, so spandex was the norm. Even though I love the sport, I don’t always love bearing my booty for everyone to see.).

Since I carry my weight in my derriere area, I prefer my shorts to be a bit longer. This can be difficult since it seems nowadays the trend is either running leggings or sky-high athletic shorts. For me, Nike shorts provide the perfect length and support. I don’t feel like I’m flashing my behind for everyone that walks by, but they’re short enough to be practical for lots of movement. What’s even better is that by going up a size, I was able to find Nike shorts that were long enough to be appropriate to wear to my summer job as a camp counselor (Or else I would’ve had to suffer through hot, humid days in jeans. Yuck!)!

3.  They come in SO MANY COLORS!

I’m the type of girl that loves anything bright and colorful.

True, black is slimming, but a little color adds some much-needed spice to life. Nike running shorts are available in just about every color combination imaginable. Having cute workout clothes will make you more excited to exercise (Though this isn’t a proven fact, I’m convinced feeling confident in fun workout gear can certainly make going to the gym or hitting the trail a lot easier.).

4.  They’re versatile

I’m not saying that you can wear these running shorts to a formal and avoid getting weird looks, but they are the perfect shorts to transition from class to the gym.

On days when you don’t feel like wearing restrictive skinny jeans or slipping into a dress, these Nike shorts are your best bet for a casual college look that isn’t too ratty. You can make these shorts more every-day appropriate by wearing them with a solid colored t-shirt and fun sneakers or casual sandals (I’ll admit that I love the cliché Nike shorts and Birkenstock combo.).

It’s the perfect outfit for busy days when you want to be extra comfortable or days when you don’t have time to stop by your room to change before squeezing in your workout.

On another note, these shorts are the perfect pair for almost any type of physical activity. Hitting the trail for a run around the lakes? Heading to the gym for a workout? Going to the basketball courts to get a head start on practice for next year’s Bookstore Basketball tournament? Preparing to attend your favorite fitness class – cycling, Zumba, or a HIIT class? These shorts are the ones for you.

5.  You get great quality for a great price

At around $30 a pair, Nike running shorts are an affordable investment that will last you quite a while.

Although cheaper alternatives can be tempting, chances are the lower-priced competitors may not make it through the long haul. I have a pair of these Nike running shorts that have lasted me almost five years. These shorts are made with Dri-FIT fabric that wicks sweat away from the skin to keep you dry while working out. Other fabrics may shrink or tear easily in the wash or fade over time. My Nike running shorts are still brilliantly bright – just the way I like them!

You can even get lucky and find these shorts on sale – especially during the summer months. Check your local sporting goods store for promotions. I have a Dick’s Sporting Goods store in my hometown, and they have been selling these shorts for 20% off among other sales in the past couple weeks (You can find them online, too!).

Although Notre Dame is an Under Armour sponsored school, I can’t shake my love of Nike running shorts (No hard feelings Under Amour – your shorts are pretty nifty, too! I’m a fan of these Notre Dame ones if you want to slip in a little bit of your ND pride to your workout.).

Nike shorts have been a staple of my summer wardrobe so far, and I’ll be sure to bring as many pairs as I can fit in my suitcase back with me this fall. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!