Wellness > Health

Self-care This and Every Week: Women’s Health Week 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Women’s Health Week is a week-long celebration that begins every year on Mother’s Day. It is a way to encourage women to prioritize taking care of themselves and their health—something that should be done every day of the year, but this week serves as an extra special reminder. Women too often place themselves at the bottom of the to-do list; I myself am a culprit of doing exactly that. Especially in college, it is really easy to run yourself into the ground with school, a job, social activities, and more. Even if you don’t have a ton of time to drop everything and have a self-care day, I encourage all of you readers to implement little things in your lives this and every week to take care of yourself.

Don’t know where to start? No worries—I did the research and I’ve got you covered. Below, I compiled a list of ways to take extra-special care of yourself, not only based on advice from medical professionals, but also from personal experience. If I have learned one thing in college, it is that you can always learn something from other people’s experiences.

• Exercise can help improve your health, sleep, and mood

Even just taking a few minutes each day to get up and go on a walk outside is better than curling up in bed all day (although there are definitely days where it is OK to do that as well). Get up, get moving, and get active. It will make a world of difference.

• Healthy eating habits: not necessarily a diet, but what makes your body operate at it’s best (This looks different for everyone)

It is really easy to take a look at what you are eating and make a snap decision to fall into one of the many “fad diets” out there. I encourage all of you to make choices that are right for your body and lifestyle. There are plenty of resources out there to help determine what this will look like for you, but a great resource is a nutritionist if this is something you are serious about!

• Good sleep can not only make you think more clearly, but can also help you from getting sick, or even developing serious illnesses.

As someone who struggles with sleep, as most college students do, I can tell you definitively that a good nights’ sleep makes a world of difference in your productivity. Although life may not always allow for you to get a well-rounded 8 hours, at least make sure the hours that you are getting count. Try to shut off your phone before bed to get a more restful night of sleep in.

• SCHEDULE THAT DOCTOR’S APPT! It is important to regularly follow up on appointments.

Not only is it important to focus on your mental and emotional health, but physical health is so, SO important. We often let scheduling those regular check-ups slip, so take a few minutes of your day to call and make those. You never know what you could be overlooking, and it is important to make sure you monitor your physical health.

• Check in on yourself mentally.

Take time out of your day to write down 5 things that didn’t totally suck. Decompress. See a therapist or talk to a friend if you need it.

• Call your friends and family and go get coffee.

Surrounding yourself with other people is a great reminder of how loved you are. I have found that there isn’t much that a good vent session over coffee can’t cure.

• Do things that make you happy.

Finding joy is the most important way to take care of yourself. Do something every day that brings you joy, it will change your life for the better.

I want to close out this article talking about a topic circulating in the media right now, which is ironic given the timing of women’s health week- Roe vs. Wade. Make sure to check in on your friends right now. It is horrifying that women’s right to make decisions regarding their own bodies is in question. I encourage you all to check out the news and various resources surrounding the issue.

Kate Davis

Northwestern '24

Kate is a Sophomore at Northwestern University studying Communications and Sociology. Her favorite things to do in her free time are being with her friends, listening to new playlists, making TikToks, and online shopping. When she is not writing for HC, you can find her trying out new study spots around campus or hanging out with her sorority sisters