This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that winter quarter is my least favorite quarter. With the sun setting earlier, the temperatures falling to insanely low levels and the addition of seemingly never-ending Zoom calls, this quarter has had the capacity to be quite miserable. I knew going into this term that I was going to have to dedicate some time and effort to taking care of myself and giving myself space to relax and enjoy my days. To help ease the gloom of winter quarter, I created a weekly self-care routine that would give me time for mindfulness and pampering while also providing physical benefits for my skin, which has taken quite the beating over the last few months. 

Body Scrub 

We’ve all been told the importance of exfoliating your skin to remove dead skin cells from its surface. It’s something that I’ve made sure to incorporate into my facial skincare routine ever since I started taking it so much more seriously. Now, I wouldn’t dream of skipping my weekly chemical exfoliating. At the same time, I was still neglecting to exfoliate the rest of my skin, and once I started paying attention, the difference really showed. As part of my attempts to take better care of my skin and create a weekly routine for pampering myself, I made sure to buy a body scrub I could use from Dare Cosmetics. Since making a scrub a mainstay in my products, I’ve noticed how much smoother and refreshed my skin feels. Using a scrub and moisturizing afterwards leaves your skin feeling so rejuvenated, especially during the cold winter months.

Facial Steamer 

When I experienced my first Evanston winter, I noticed how much of a toll it was taking on my skin pretty quickly. Being originally from North Carolina, I was used to having pretty consistently high humidity levels, but the weather here felt like a complete 180. All of a sudden, I was having bigger issues with my skin feeling dry and had to find different methods of reintroducing moisture into it. This is where my new facial steamer, which I received as a Christmas gift, has come in handy. Once a week, I’m able to give myself a quick 10-minute treatment and it has definitely helped. When using a facial steamer, it’s important to make sure you’ve cleansed your face first and that you don’t steam for too long, as spending too much time in the steam can actually lead to drying out your skin. I also love that when I’m steaming my face, I can set aside time to just breathe and relax, giving myself a better opportunity to decompress. I finish off the steaming session by rinsing my face once more and move on to the next step of my routine. 

Sheet Mask

After using a facial steamer is the perfect time to maximize the benefits of using a sheet mask! Your skin will be better prepared to absorb the ingredients, making the most out of it. I love putting on a sheet mask and watching one of my favorite shows for 15-20 minutes. Rubbing in the excess that’s leftover after taking off the mask is always such a wonderful feeling and leaves my skin feeling well-moisturized as I finish the rest of my skincare routine. 

Rose Quartz Face Roller

The last step as I finish off my routine is using my rose quartz face roller. I received one for Christmas and hadn’t paid that much attention to them before because I didn’t think it would  add anything to my skincare routine. I’ve grown to truly enjoy using mine as part of my weekly pampering. Face rolling gives a gentle massage meant to stimulate the lymphatic system. Some benefits include releasing toxins, easing muscle tension, decreasing puffiness and stimulating blood flow. I can’t say that I’ve noticed astonishing results from using mine but it definitely helps me to relax and gives me time to mindfully care for myself.

Winter can be harsh and in the virtual world, it’s easy to get caught up in school work, extracurricular activities and the crazy things that are happening around us. It’s important to take the time to seriously care for yourself, and this can have many physical and mental health benefits. All of these steps in my routine have helped me feel like I’m truly caring for myself and made this winter a little easier to get through.

Harlym Pike

Northwestern '22

Harlym Pike is a senior from Charlotte, North Carolina studying psychology, sociology, and theatre at Northwestern. In her free time, she loves to perform with her a cappella group, create content, and spend time with friends.