This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Tis the season to get sick! For a lot of freshmen, this is their first time living in a communal space with hundreds of other students. With so many kids in one place, it’s easy to spread germs and get ill! Keep yourself healthy by following our tips:

1) WASH YOUR DARN HANDS

• Wash hands before and after going to thedining hall (especially if you’re eating food with your hands, like pizza).
  • Doorknobs are disgusting. Keep hand sanitizer in your bag, and in your room for easy usage.
  • The beginning of the school year means meeting A LOT of new people! After shaking hands with someone, go wash your hands.

2) SHARING IS NOT CARING

• DON’T SHARE DRINKS. Whether they’re virgin or not, just don’t do it.
  • Don’t drink out of used cups. Don’t drink straight out of any bottles (*hint, hint*).
  • Same goes for food, makeup, etc. If they were used by someone else, do not use it for yourself.

3) IT’S A MARATHON, NOT A SPRINT

Especially in the first few weeks of school, it’s easy to run yourself down. Make yourself your first priority:

• Get enough sleep.
  • Forget what everyone has told you that college means no sleep. If you want to be well, your body needs time to rejuvenate. Your homework will still be there when you wake up.
  • Make some time everyday to do something that relaxes you.
  • Drink tea and plenty of water
  • TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. EAT YOUR VEGETABLES. (Love, Mom)
  • Nights in are underrated. If you feel yourself feeling sickly, forget the FOMO and stay in. There will be plenty of nights to see your friends.  

IF THIS LIST FAILS AND YOU DO GET SICK…

• Take it easy. If you need more sleep, or simply can’t get out of bed, STAY IN BED. Email your professor or TA and get notes from a friend in class. There is so much power in resting and getting enough sleep. When your body is already running on empty, don’t push it on your last fumes. Fuel up.
  • Get some over-the-counter medicine. If you’re not 18 years old yet, have an older friend to make a CVS run for you. Mucinex and Dayquil are your best friends if you have a stubborn cold.
  • Know when to go get medical attention. If your cold worsens after three days, or persists after a week, make yourself an appointment and go to Searle. The people there are kind and work well with students.  

Location: 633 Emerson Street (across from Cahn Auditorium on South Campus)

Phone number: 847-491-8100

Regular business hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday. 

Relax! It’s scary to get sick the first time at college with no family around to help you, but once you get past the first illness you’ll be a pro. You might start playing nurse to your friends too…. 

Photo courtesy of northwestern.edu and giphy.com