This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

2020 has brought about drastic changes in regular routines and behaviors for everyone. The varying levels of safety precautions in different states has necessitated an ability to adapt for us all, whether you’ve been stuck at home or following safety guidelines for public spaces. These precautions have changed how the world looks, from minimizing restaurant capacity to completely reimagining how services operate. One reimagined avenue of life is the luxury services we used to rely on so frequently, like hair salons, spas, and estheticians. The level of contact between workers and clients in these areas made them high risk places and therefore inaccessible in the first few months of the pandemic. Consequently, many of us have learned how to provide these services to ourselves from home, including myself. With a few items that I received from Conair, I’ve been able to further enhance my at-home pampering routines.

The Knot Dr. Dryer Brush

purple conair blow dryer brush
Original photo by Harlym Pike

This item was hands-down the most exciting one I received. Blow-dryer brushes have been all the rage lately, and I’ve encountered a few YouTube and Instagram reviews of them from various brands. It seems like the universe was paying close attention because this Dryer Brush brought me so much joy. I have naturally curly and kinky hair, so when I do choose to heat-style my hair, having a complementary combination of products and tools is super important for getting the look I want. I hadn’t heat-styled my hair since the spring, so I was excited to see how it turned out. Equipped with my Briogeo Heat Protectant and my Kipozi Flat Iron for the aftermath of blow-drying, I set out on my experiment.

I was so pleased with how much easier it was to blow-dry my thick hair with this dryer, as it only required me to hold up one of my arms instead of having to hold my brush in one hand, the dryer in another. The process was less labor-intensive, less time-consuming, and helped me efficiently stretch my hair before further heat styling. I’m so excited to make this product part of my routine.

Microdermabrasion Beauty Tool

white conair microdermabrasion tool
Original photo by Harlym Pike

If you are skincare obsessed like me, you might know a little bit about microdermabrasion and what a tool for it might do. Microdermabrasion is a way of gently removing the thicker, uneven outside layer of your skin. The purpose is to improve the overall skin tone and texture. It is typically done by professionals because being too rough on your skin can lead to further damage and irritation. I’ve never attempted to do this sort of treatment by myself, so I was a little nervous trying out this tool Conair sent me. However, the instructions were simple and there were many videos and articles online that helped guide me as I cautiously used this tool. It’s important to look at the instructions about which direction you should be moving the tool. The different attachments available lead to different levels of exfoliation, and there are other guidelines like not passing over one area multiple times. Once I learned the ins and outs of this tool, I did this quick, simple treatment and was pleased to notice that my skin appeared brighter afterward.

As with any skincare product or treatment, it is important to patch-test to see how you react first because this type of treatment can be irritating to sensitive skin types. I know that as I continue to use this tool, I’ll be doing so sparingly to take special care not to upset my skin.

Reflections 12x LED Spot Mirror

reflections 12x LED spot mirror
Original photo by Harlym Pike

A close-up mirror is such a delightful addition to my self-care and pampering arsenal. Before coming to college, I would regularly get my eyebrows threaded at the same location. Once I started college, I was left without a place to get them done. I decided to get a kit that would allow me to do my own eyebrows, and soon I routinely started grooming them myself. With the 12x LED spot mirror, my eyebrow grooming habits have become so much simpler! The suction cup on the back of the mirror allows me to place it on any solid surface so that I don’t have to hold it myself. The lights surrounding the mirror make it so much easier to see and increases my confidence in my work. Finally, the zoomed-in view lets me see exactly where I want to groom and assists me in achieving a precise shape.

These tools from Conair’s recent campaign were such a joy to add to my at-home pampering routine. I am so excited to have products that will simplify these habits, especially as we continue our efforts to stay safe in this pandemic. If you’re looking for a way to transition to doing some of these routines yourself, I highly recommend looking into Conair’s products to help you achieve that!

Harlym Pike

Northwestern '22

Harlym Pike is a senior from Charlotte, North Carolina studying psychology, sociology, and theatre at Northwestern. In her free time, she loves to perform with her a cappella group, create content, and spend time with friends.