Six Farmer\'s Fridge Jars with labels on top
Original photo by Harlym Pike

How Farmer’s Fridge Refreshed My Week’s Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Returning from spring break means that I’ve returned to planning and cooking meals weekly for myself. Throughout my first year in my own apartment, I’ve found recipes that I love making and feel very comfortable with. I’ve also found meal options that work with my busy schedule, even if they aren’t the most glamorous options. At this stage, I have a familiar selection of meals that I rotate, every now and then adding in some new ones. The routine of it all can get a little boring, meaning it was the perfect time to branch out and try something new with Farmer’s Fridge. 

Farmer’s Fridge launched with the goal of making fresh food as accessible as a candy bar. It uses high-tech, refrigerated vending machines to make restaurant-quality meals accessible and affordable, while also donating unsold jars to local food pantries. The meals are handmade by local partners with seasonal ingredients and delivered fresh. Their website also allows customers to communicate where they would like to have a fridge accessible to them! 

Before things moved online, I remember visiting the Farmer’s Fridge outside of my on-campus job office and grabbing meals there when I didn’t want to go to the dining hall for late-night food. I liked having healthy and affordable options easily available to me instead of relying on ordering out. I was lucky to receive a few items from the menu to try recently, in partnership with Farmer’s Fridge. Here are a few of my favorites!

Harvest Salad

Holding a
Original photo by Harlym Pike

Something I love about the Farmer’s Fridge salads is that they are full of so many different and delicious ingredients. I am guilty of being very unimaginative when it comes to making salads, so these meals were perfect for expanding my horizons. In the Harvest Salad, I loved the sweetness of the cranberries and the Honeycrisp apples with the savory flavor of the goat cheese and couscous. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing was the perfect dressing to tie it all together. 

Cookie Dough Bites

Holding a
Original photo by Harlym Pike

These were such an amazing snack! Made with cashew, oats, maple syrup, cacao nibs, and vanilla bean paste, they really do taste like a bite of cookie dough. I love that they taste like a treat but are made with such good ingredients. They were perfect to have in the fridge and grab whenever I was in need of something to nibble on throughout the day. If you tend to have a sweet tooth but want to start reaching for snacks with better ingredients, I encourage you to try these out!

Smoked Cheddar Cobb Salad

Holding a
Original photo by Harlym Pike

I’ve never had a Cobb salad before and this was the perfect first experience for me. This salad had lettuce, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, carrots, corn, smoked cheddar cheese, and BBQ sunflower seeds. The Honey Dijon dressing that came with it was so delicious. Once again, I loved that this salad had so many different ingredients that added to the flavor profile. This was such a great, filling lunch. 

There are so many other options available at Farmer’s Fridge, including breakfast items, bowls, and other snacks. Fridge locations can be found on the Farmer’s Fridge website. There are a few available around Northwestern’s campus and delivery is also available if you can’t make it to one of the fridges. If you’re looking for fresh, affordable meals for almost any meal of the day, make sure to take a look at their menu. Meals average around $8, furthering their accessibility. Be sure to also keep an eye out in May for the next Farmer’s Fridge chef collaboration: a Red Chile Braised Pork Bowl by Chef Rick Bayless. A portion of the sales from that dish will benefit the Frontera Farmer Foundation

Harlym Pike

Northwestern '22

Harlym Pike is a senior from Charlotte, North Carolina studying psychology, sociology, and theatre at Northwestern. In her free time, she loves to perform with her a cappella group, create content, and spend time with friends.