This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In a late-night spiral down the Tik Tok rabbit hole last week, I ended up on “Vegan Tik Tok”- a niche of food Tik Tok that shares recipes and talks about the health benefits of veganism. So, at one in the morning on a Wednesday night, I decided to go vegan. For the past week, I’ve been trying to make vegan choices on campus as I try to decide if I want to make a more permanent lifestyle change. As much as I’ve enjoyed incorporating more whole foods in my diet, being vegan on campus is hard, especially when the only vegan meal options seem to be the rooted station in the dining halls. After a few days, I got bored of the limited options the rooted station had to offer. In an effort to find more varied and enjoyable vegan options, I spent the rest of my week using dining dollars and meal exchanges at places around campus. Here’s what I liked:

Summer Tofu Rolls- Viet Nom Nom ($9.49)

The summer tofu rolls at Viet Nom Nom are a great, balanced option if you’re looking for a lighter lunch. Filled with crisp veggies and tofu and served with a side of peanut sauce, thess rolls are incredible. And if you’re looking to try something completely different than what you see in the dining halls, these are perfect. Be careful, though. They’re expensive, so you’ll burn through your dining dollars fast.

Rice Bowl- Viet Nom Nom ($11.25)

Another great find at Viet Nom Nom, the rice bowls are filling and customizable. Vegan customers can choose from veggies, tofu, and a variety of vegan sauces. Throughout the quarter, I’d choose chicken as my protein in my rice bowls but loading your bowl with veggies or tofu can be just as satisfying.

The Shred- Patty2 ($7.59)

Offered as a bowl or a wrap, the Shred is one of my favorite items on this list. I prefer the shred as a wrap; it’s a great way to get veggies and carbs in while also having a flavorful and exciting meal.

Hummus Wrap- Lisa’s Café

Since I live on north campus, Lisa’s Café is a super convenient option for when I want a break from the dining halls but don’t want to trek to south campus for Norris. You can find the hummus wrap in the grab-and-go section, making it a quick, easy meal.

Vegan Pizza- MOD (meal exchange)

If you’re like me and you’ve burned through your dining dollars for the quarter, a meal exchange at MOD is the perfect break from dining hall food. To make it vegan, I skip the cheese and load up on vegetables and sauces (I was not a fan of MOD’s dairy free cheese). It’s filling and it won’t break the dining dollars bank. 

Though I’m not entirely sure if I’ll make a full commitment to veganism, I had a lot of fun planning meals this past week. Besides the rooted station, there are a lot of interesting vegan options around campus. Part of the fun, in my opinion, is spending time exploring our beautiful campus while you find some of these restaurants. Even if you’re not vegan, I highly recommend trying some of these lesser-known meal options.

Preeta Kamat

Northwestern '24

Preeta is a sophomore from Rochester, Michigan studying Neuroscience and Global Health Studies in the seven year med program. When she's not working on school, you can find her on coffee runs, exploring campus with friends, baking, or watching reality TV.